Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, here's my question. i've currently got the GYTR slip-on, but i've been playing with the idea of wrapping the pipes to lose some of the heat that eats up my legs (figuratively). a buddy of mine suggested getting an aftermarket midpipe so that CAT would be gone, but also mentioned it would be LOUD (and was excited when he mentioned that part b/c that's what he wants to do). does anybody have this combination? no cat, aftermarket midpipe, and the slipon? i'm just not a huge fan of the super-loud exhaust... got over that in highschool (just my opinion) and if removing the cat and replacing it with a new midpipe is going to make riding it nearly unbearable, then i'll just suck it up with the heat. thanks...

JP

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
its bearable but a large difference from having the cat on. I didnt like it at firtst but it grows on you.

I dont think you would lose that much heat radiation from taking out the cat, IMO. Mine still keeps the legs toasty on certain days.

Not that BIG of a performance increase either.

Go full or go home (from the guy w/ the midpipe)

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
has anybody heard of this mjs perfomance header mod that they do to turn your current header into a full race system? they're offering it for $215 right now if you send them your headers. i'm just worried about it being SUPER loud (call me a pussy all you want, but when i haul ass, i'd rather not draw extra attention to myself with noise that doesn't need to be there)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had a gytr stubby slip on and mjs race header on m 08. Too loud and the tone wasnt good. Annoying on the highway. Changed it out for a KR Tuned carbon slip. Love the way the bike sounds now. There is a "good sounding loud" and "bad sounding loud". The gytr sounds nice with the stock header but I definitely didnt like it with a race header or mid-pipe. Just my .02.

·
Sexy Time
757 Posts
I have the gytr and a mid pipe. It is loud but i like it. the only prob is that it could draw some unwanted attention if you put it around 10k or even 8k in town. in the canyons its great.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's what i was worried about... too much attention b/c of the decibel level. thanks for the advice. i might wait to get the header until i can get a new slip-on too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts