Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As i mentioned before..i'm doing a presentation for physics on acceleration, braking, and turning in a motorcycle. for the turning part, i've used a little bit from this website http://www.msgroup.org/TIP048.html . I under stand how a motorcycle turns and everything but how does hanging off work? From the website i just mentioned, if you look at the part where it shows pictures of the 2 decreasing radius cups, he explains how the bike actually turns. It turns because the outside of the tire has a smaller radius, making it turn slower than the middle part of the tire. I also know that hanging off gives the bike more lean clearance in a turn. What i don't understand, is if the motorcycle only turns because the outside of the tire travels less distance than the center of the tire, and hanging off decreases the angle/lean of that tire, how can you turn the same amount as if you leaned the bike more?

Am i missing something?....
thanks for your time..

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Your lean angle is directly proportionate to your turn speed.
For example, if you take a turn at 15MPH, you only have to lean a certain amount, and you will not be dragging your knee. However, if you were to take the same turn at 90MPH, and try to use the same lean angle, you would highside, because of the centrifugal force exerted on the rider. Therefore, you have to lean the bike over to balance the lateral force on the tire, and the centrifugal force of the wheels.

Hanging off, is only a technique which accomplishes a few things.
One, by having a somewhat stabe platform on the surface,(the knee) it allows the rider to gauge his lean angle.
Two, it helps stabilize the rider by giving a small amount of support preventing him from making the lean angle too far down, thus losing the contact patch on the tire.
Three, it distributes more weight to the tires, by forcing pressure on the outside footpeg, forcing the tires to make better contact with the surface.
Four, since at high speeds, the gyroscope effect tries to pull the bike upright, leaning and hanging off applies more pressure to the top of the bike, holding it down, and preventing it from righting itself. (highsiding)

If you watch different riders on a track, you will notice that two riders can take a corner at the same speed, but at different lean angles. This is accomplished by the different ways the rider applies pressure to the rear tire. Example: If one rider has a lean angle of 55 degrees, and the other rider has a 50 degree lean angle, the rider with 50 degrees would need to apply a bit more weight to the rear tire to compensate for the lateral force on the tire.

Hope this helps somewhat.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
RSixxr said:
Ummmmm You lost me at Your..... :wtf
hahahaha

That's some great info TXR6!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Good explanations...

The reason you hang off the bike is to bring the center of gravity out and require you to have to lean the bike over less. The farther over the bike is and the closer you are to the edges of the tires, the less traction is available. Since you are leaned over less if you are hanging off, you can give more gas coming through the corner and preserve traction.

The forces on the portion of your body that is hanging off also helps the turn. Its kinda like the bike is "falling over" and to keep it from falling over, you need to be accelerating (which incidentally makes the bike want to stand up).

Hard to explain, easy to visualize....think about it!!

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
loki1313 said:
but good explanations all around txr6 and jasamb :cheers
yep, good explanations. perhaps Jasamb can clue us all in to his abduction that must have occured since he hasn't chimed in in ages!

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
penfold said:
loki1313 said:
but good explanations all around txr6 and jasamb :cheers
yep, good explanations. perhaps Jasamb can clue us all in to his abduction that must have occured since he hasn't chimed in in ages!
ya that was my bad pen, i kidnapped him and tried to get some money out of his wife. but ofcourse she was like screw that you can keep the bastard so i just let him go :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
someone needs to sticky this for me so everytime i wake up and i'm feelin kind of smart i can read this and it will remind me of exactly how little i know. man i feel stupid. :drink

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
loki1313 said:
ahhhhhhhhhhhh, POW , dammit my head just exploded, just to much info at one time i think. but good explanations all around txr6 and jasamb :cheers
I was abducted by Roosevelt University - FINALS WEEK...ITS FINALLY OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Week of then I do it again.

:cheers

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
its nice to have some time off, but its gonna rain all week, soooooo

:rant

1 - 17 of 17 Posts