Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Never used one from HF, but I can safely say that if you get one, you might get maybe two uses outta it before it shits...

Just use an angle grinder, or even a dremel with a cut off wheel on it to cut the old chain off (and cut the 3-4 links off that youll need to do to get your new chain to fit correctly)

Dont know if youre going to go with a clip style master or not, I wouldnt recommend it, but youll get peeps saying its fine. Rivet style is best/strongest and get a $50 rivet press...youll be good to go from there on out...

http://www.motoworldracing.com/Motio...78652&ez=chain breaker

And for reference in choosing a clip style or rivet style ML:
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1897003#post1897003

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So can this breaker also be used is a rivet press? This breaker looks like a burly version of what i use on my bmx bike. I only use press in pins on the bmx and thats what id be using on the 6 as well.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
And explain to me about doing all this with the chain on the rear sprocket. isn't this how you can do it.

1.loosen old chain, take off of sprockets. (Yet ive heard of people breaking them to get them off?)
2. take out # of correct links, while chain is on ground, put masker link on once chain is set back on sprockets, and press to pop into place?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've not done my chain yet but that thing doesn't look like it has a lot of weak points... Where would it break?

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
I've not done my chain yet but that thing doesn't look like it has a lot of weak points... Where would it break?
It will break where it is threaded. I broke an RK chain breaker there. The HF tools are known to be weak, and made from a shitty casting. I've read tons of crap about their tap and die sets breaking all the time, etc..

If you make sure you really grind down the pins before pushing them thru, it'll probably be ok. I guess you would need to rig something up to press the new link on tho. I think the HF is only a chain breaker, not a rivet pusher.

Pony up and get the RK tool. It's far stronger than the motion pro. The motion pro is notorious for breaking and bending push pins. I have both the RK and the motion pro. RK wins hands down, but they both will get the job done a few times over

·
Registered
672 Posts
It will break where it is threaded. I broke an RK chain breaker there. The HF tools are known to be weak, and made from a shitty casting. I've read tons of crap about their tap and die sets breaking all the time, etc..

If you make sure you really grind down the pins before pushing them thru, it'll probably be ok. I guess you would need to rig something up to press the new link on tho. I think the HF is only a chain breaker, not a rivet pusher.

Pony up and get the RK tool. It's far stronger than the motion pro. The motion pro is notorious for breaking and bending push pins. I have both the RK and the motion pro. RK wins hands down, but they both will get the job done a few times over
Thanks, great info!

Do you foresee breaking more RK tools? If so how often... 10 chain replacements?

The reason I ask is because if you're gonna break RK chain tools it might make more sense to buy HF ones and break em every 2 to 3 changes and you'd still be ahead. I'm curious because I've gotta change a chain soon...

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
The HF one works as a rivet tool also.
Yeah, but without the nice backing plates that the RK tool has. The plate helps hold the tool steady, and forces the torque across the link. I think the RK is much more suited for the task.

Thanks, great info!

Do you foresee breaking more RK tools? If so how often... 10 chain replacements?

The reason I ask is because if you're gonna break RK chain tools it might make more sense to buy HF ones and break em every 2 to 3 changes and you'd still be ahead. I'm curious because I've gotta change a chain soon...
If I break another one I'll get a snapon. Replacing tools is ridiculous to me. I'm no mechanic, but that's the mentality I have. A mechanic can spend half the $$ on craftsman tools, and just get em replaced when they break. But any mechanic will tell you that's not an option. They will lose time, time is money, etc.. I just wanna be able to fix my shit and not have to make trips back and forth anywhere other than to my fridge for a beer. LOL

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yeah, but without the nice backing plates that the RK tool has. The plate helps hold the tool steady, and forces the torque across the link. I think the RK is much more suited for the task.

If I break another one I'll get a snapon. Replacing tools is ridiculous to me. I'm no mechanic, but that's the mentality I have. A mechanic can spend half the $$ on craftsman tools, and just get em replaced when they break. But any mechanic will tell you that's not an option. They will lose time, time is money, etc.. I just wanna be able to fix my shit and not have to make trips back and forth anywhere other than to my fridge for a beer. LOL
I agree... If i can buy one that wont break I'd prefer that but I could buy two HF ones and if I break one go pick another up at my convenience. At this point there are other things/tools I'd like to spend my money on, that need to be the higher quality, that I wouldn't mind buying two HF breakers for the time being...

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
I wanna get one too, but this time imma be smart and run the 525 pitch sprockets/chain till the stock chain wears out. No point in turning to 520 for just trackdays. Rotational mass my a$$ :laugh. I dont need to improve speeds by lowering rotational mass of 2 lbs when I can get faster by loosing 10lbs on me :lmao

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
I agree... If i can buy one that wont break I'd prefer that but I could buy two HF ones and if I break one go pick another up at my convenience. At this point there are other things/tools I'd like to spend my money on, that need to be the higher quality, that I wouldn't mind buying two HF breakers for the time being...
I hear ya bro. I'm going tool shopping this weekend. I'd way rather spend the $$ on new wheels or something, but sometimes you gotta drop some loot on things that don't immediately satisfy you :(. A grand spent this weekend will make my life 10X easier going forward, so that's what ima do.

I wanna get one too, but this time imma be smart and run the 525 pitch sprockets/chain till the stock chain wears out. No point in turning to 520 for just trackdays. Rotational mass my a$$ :laugh. I dont need to improve speeds by lowering rotational mass of 2 lbs when I can get faster by loosing 10lbs on me :lmao
Buying a new chain is SO much easier than losing weight on my body. :lmao

Good for you tho bro. You're 100% correct. I'm just lazy and fat. I figure I'll lose the weight eventually. For spring I am playing in two hockey leagues, and riding my ass off as usual.

I have a 525 -1 front sprocket I put on my bike to get me by until the 520 kit. I ordered the 520 early this week. I won't be needing the front sprocket anymore. :sing

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Dibs!!!! How many miles on them, and is it from you 08?
:werd

it's yours! I got a -1 for my 08 stock chain. I put like very few miles on it. Maybe 2 tanks o gas tops bro. Like new. Made by afam, but sold under a different brand name. It's a good sprocket. I don't run aything shitty. I paid like $25 for it. Shipping plus $5 and it's all yours. Seriously.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
:werd

it's yours! I got a -1 for my 08 stock chain. I put like very few miles on it. Maybe 2 tanks o gas tops bro. Like new. Made by afam, but sold under a different brand name. It's a good sprocket. I don't run aything shitty. I paid like $25 for it. Shipping plus $5 and it's all yours. Seriously.

:YEA

send me ur paypal info by pm

:cheers

I love this forum, :laugh

·
Registered
672 Posts
I hear ya bro. I'm going tool shopping this weekend. I'd way rather spend the $$ on new wheels or something, but sometimes you gotta drop some loot on things that don't immediately satisfy you :(. A grand spent this weekend will make my life 10X easier going forward, so that's what ima do.
Don't get me wrong I like tools but I need a compressor among other things before I spend $100 on a chain breaker. My tool set is growing but I got tool priorities that dictate what I get first... I'd love a no-mar but there are other things that come first on the bike but also in the garage!

But I agree the right tools can make a dreadful job delightful in a real quick hurry!

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Don't get me wrong I like tools but I need a compressor among other things before I spend $100 on a chain breaker. My tool set is growing but I got tool priorities that dictate what I get first... I'd love a no-mar but there are other things that come first on the bike but also in the garage!

But I agree the right tools can make a dreadful job delightful in a real quick hurry!
Yeah man, I wanted the nomar SO bad. It was way up on my list, but if I get a compressor, and a bike lift, I don't know where I would have room for the tire changer. Plus, I just prefer high speed digital balancing of the tires.

Craftsman has a couple of the professional series compressors I'm interested in. The 2nd to largest one would be perfect for ANYTHING! Air tools are sweet, but they are more useful when working on cars IMO. I will be getting one eventually tho. Especially if I bump out the garage so I can fit a bigger car in it.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts