Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 07 r6 with 17k miles on it , when I bought it , it had an issue where it was hard to start which I thought was the battery.
The bike is hard to start , takes like 7 seconds or so for it to crank over and eventually start..Sometimes when I pull up to a stop light, pull the clutch in , the revs drop and the bike dies. I searched previous threads on here , and I saw someone recommend I check my clutch switch and oil level - clutch is switch is hard-wired and my oil level is correct

year : 2007
Miles: 17,.583
no mods : stock exhaust

Would bad timing and valve clearance be causing this? I have since parked the bike seeing I dont know what it is and don't want to cause further damage to the engine

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
170 Posts
I'm unfamiliar with 07 models with ride-by-wire, ex-up valves, etc., so it's hard to say.. but a few culprits to look for:
Starter & recharging system - starter, wiring, grounding, etc.
Intake system - clogged hoses or filter, dirt, Air Induction System, AIS solenoid, etc.
Valves - not closing completely, or not opening completely, etc. - check valve clearances, clean the gunk, etc.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am about to perform a valve clearance, in the manual to check valve clearance on cylinders #2 , #3 and #4 , manual says to turn at a certain degree
What kind of tool can I use to turn the crankshaft at 180 degress or can i just judge it ??

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
170 Posts
I had a hard time myself, so I visually followed the lobes when I was adjusting mine. Hope that helps.

This is for 2003-2005 engine. You might wanna check your manual for 2007 model:

Font Rectangle Parallel Pattern Circle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts