Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into painting my helmet myself like the michael jordan motorsports team, anyone got any advice or tips?

whats the best way to apply a design?

jaden

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
i say take it to the pros. if you know about painting cars and did it yourself, and have access to all the equipment like aircompressor with a good water seperator, small touch up gun and and air brush, then try it. if you dont have all of these things then it would be cheaper to let someone else do it. as for me i did a few cars, painted a few rc car bodies, but i never did tackle the job of doing my own helmet. maybe one day when i master the techniques of the air brush.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have experience painting cars, and access to the tools and free paint!!
but what worries me is the pattern, i think im just gonna try to do the whole tape and spray, i never did get that good with the airbrush...

if all goes terribly wrong, it'll have to be just one color...

wish me luck.

jaden

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
okay you have some experience with prep and paint. i would say practice on something with the airbrush. good old masking tape, razor blade and a steady hand is whats needed. i would say just draw it out on paper first then plan from there. im not good enough to just tape and paint off the top of my head.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Buy a cheap used helmet and pratice on it first. Get used to painting on the shape/surface before you hit up your main piece.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Good luck with your helmet. Please show us the finished project bro.

·
Registered
302 Posts
echoes said:
Buy a cheap used helmet and pratice on it first. Get used to painting on the shape/surface before you hit up your main piece.
I agree, or just find something really round, like a ball, because painting a helmet would be a bitch

·
Vendor
7,805 Posts
I've done a few bikes for MJ and our painter's done up quite a few of his personal helmets... His favorite is a Ice pearl platinum north carolina blue scheme that has a darker blue fade on the top... it's very slick looking. If you saw the recent speed TV show he was riding at Pridmore's school with it on.. :)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I've done a few bikes for MJ and our painter's done up quite a few of his personal helmets... His favorite is a Ice pearl platinum north carolina blue scheme that has a darker blue fade on the top... it's very slick looking. If you saw the recent speed TV show he was riding at Pridmore's school with it on.. :)
I bet my painter is better than your guy, unless its the same guy...:fact

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
:popcorn:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts