Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my days on the R1 forums I came across this neat DIY. Supposedly they add some power to the mid range of the R1. However I never got around to doing it since I felt my R1 had more power than I needed already.

I couldn't help but notice that the OEM stacks on the 04+ R1 were very similar if not the same as the one's on our 06+ R6v.

After doing some research, I was unable to find conclusive evidence that this DIY would prove bennificial to our R6. I'd like to know if anyone has tried this and what their experiences were.

If this works out as well as it did for the boys in the R1 forum, this would be a very cost effective mod. (Especially since Grave's stacks are $700.....)

Link to R1 V-Stack DIY(contains dyno charts)

http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134020

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
It depends on what you're looking for from your bike. With 'static' velocity stacks, the length is going to give you benefit at a specific rpm range - so if you'd like more mid-range punch out of your 06/07 at the cost of some top end HP, then this may be worth doing.

08+ have the YCCI or whatever the acronym is, which is basically telescopic V-stacks with their length is driven by a servo based on engine RPM, so you get the best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
I spoke with the velocity stack company about this years ago. They said that in their r&d the gains from the stacks on the 06+ v model wasn't worth the jnvesemt and bastardizing of the part.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke with the velocity stack company about this years ago. They said that in their r&d the gains from the stacks on the 06+ v model wasn't worth the jnvesemt and bastardizing of the part.
That explains why no one/not many have done it. Good info.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I literally was just looking at this option. Any one had experience with the Factory Pro stacks on a Gen 1?

Do you have to adjust carbs after they are installed or are they pretty much a plug and play accessory?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts