Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
xHEAVENS WEAPONx
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any one made their own custom map, and tuned it all themselves just by hooking it up to your laptop and using trial and error. everyone on here seems to use a downloaded map or get a map made by someone else when the PCIII is meant for you to beable to do your own tuning. just curious, i am thinking about getting one

·
xHEAVENS WEAPONx
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
u need a dynojet to tune it urself correctly. then u download it to ur PC3. those will run u at least 35K...
i wish i had that kind of money
but i was told to ride your bike, take a mental note of what is going on around each rpm range, and just adjust it little by little, and keep adjusting then riding then adjusting then riding until you get it right.
and if you cant tune it yourself with out a dyno, then what it the point of the PCIII being usb compatable so you can hook it up to a laptop and do the adjustments yourself?
this is a completely honest question.

·
Rootabaker da R6 King
234 Posts
Most people just pay for the custom map and thats why they get the PCIII and a custom map can run 100 - 500 bucks to me its not worth it but to some they do it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
When they do a custom map, you can either get a full map or a half map. A full map they take each parameter individually and tune it, a half map they group them together in small groups and map them as a group. With a dyno a half map will take about 5 hours and a full map will take between 7-8 hours if it's done right. To be honest i dont think you would/could ever get the full potential out of your bike just by mapping it yourself using the trial & error method. I picked up 6hp on a half map for $150 if your running a full system and a race filter or have some other engine mods done then it's worth it. If not i wouldn't waste the time and money on even getting a PCIII. just my .02

·
xHEAVENS WEAPONx
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When they do a custom map, you can either get a full map or a half map. A full map they take each parameter individually and tune it, a half map they group them together in small groups and map them as a group. With a dyno a half map will take about 5 hours and a full map will take between 7-8 hours if it's done right. To be honest i dont think you would/could ever get the full potential out of your bike just by mapping it yourself using the trial & error method. I picked up 6hp on a half map for $150 if your running a full system and a race filter or have some other engine mods done then it's worth it. If not i wouldn't waste the time and money on even getting a PCIII. just my .02
i have a 2bros full race system,
it is sputtering in low gears at low RPMs
and let out a loud pop when shifting at high RPMs when i am really getting on it
and i really cant afford a custom map, and there isn't really one i can download
so i guess i have to try the trial and error method, i guess it will really give me an opportunity to learn and understand my bike.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i have a 2bros full race system,
it is sputtering in low gears at low RPMs
and let out a loud pop when shifting at high RPMs when i am really getting on it
and i really cant afford a custom map, and there isn't really one i can download
so i guess i have to try the trial and error method, i guess it will really give me an opportunity to learn and understand my bike.

When the guys tuned mine he told me that i was running what most bikes run when they switch to a full system which was rich at low R's (Maybe the reason for your sputtering) and a bit lean in the higher R's (Maybe why your getting that backfire) My bike even with the custom map will pop every once in a while after i've been on it hard in top gear, i would guess that's only because the more or less strait through pipe w/no honeycomb in the way. Not exactly sure how to do it yourself, but that's where i would prolly start. GL let us know how it turns out.

·
Just Burnin Time
2,219 Posts
Have you removed your smog block offs? Why dont yo download the graves full map for expample so you at least have a good start and tweak it from there. You can map it yourself, you just really need to know what you are doing. I would download maps and run which ever seems to run the best before i started tweaking it myself. Make sure you dont detonate your engine by running to lean.

·
xHEAVENS WEAPONx
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When the guys tuned mine he told me that i was running what most bikes run when they switch to a full system which was rich at low R's (Maybe the reason for your sputtering) and a bit lean in the higher R's (Maybe why your getting that backfire) My bike even with the custom map will pop every once in a while after i've been on it hard in top gear, i would guess that's only because the more or less strait through pipe w/no honeycomb in the way. Not exactly sure how to do it yourself, but that's where i would prolly start. GL let us know how it turns out.

i actually have the honey comb in mine, i made my own mid-pipe and cut off the cat

·
xHEAVENS WEAPONx
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you removed your smog block offs? Why dont yo download the graves full map for example so you at least have a good start and tweak it from there. You can map it yourself, you just really need to know what you are doing. I would download maps and run which ever seems to run the best before i started tweaking it myself. Make sure you dont detonate your engine by running to lean.
and how would i know if i am running too lean before i hop on the bike to test out a map, could i tell by looking at the reading from the PCIII on my laptop

·
YAM all the way!
15 Posts
i got my bike tuned at a dyno because i have to many extra modes and now my bike has 109hp at the wheel and it costed me $300 which is worth it! i got myself a custom map and the bike is a lot faster and i get the popping also which is normal when u have a straight pipe and headers its cause your running rich.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was in the same situation you were in. Contemplating to get a a PC III or not because they didn't have the map for my bike (07' R6S w/ Yoshi RS3 slip on and a K&N) on the dynojet website but I ended up ordering one from morepowerracing.com for $274 cause they said they'll pre-load the map with your mods on it. I should be getting it in the mail tomorrow so we'll see if they ended up loading a map on it or not...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts