Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the reviews section- but I'm wondering if anyone knows of a comparable lightweight battery to the Ballistic 8-cell's. Just a quick look turned up these- which says it's only 1lb shipping so I'm assuming it's light, but I can't find any more detailed specs.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DX894B2?pc_redir=1407160789&robot_redir=1[/ame]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Amazon link didn't work, but Shorai is a good lightweight equivalent.

Ah bogus- I noticed too that its only putting out like 100 cca, which I think puts it alongside the ballistic 4-cell.

Don't the Shorai's weigh somewhere in like the 6-10lb range though?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I may just be really anal in the longevity of my battery but ideally for these LiPO4 batteries each cell should have internal balancers so the cells charge equally and don't overcharge as that diminishes battery life. The Shorai Batteries as of late do not have internal balancers, but I have not seen any of them die yet. When I was looking into one I was highly considering the EarthX batteries. You may want to look into them as well. Also you cannot charge these with a normal battery tender as it will destroy the battery and they are pretty expensive considering other forms. Just FYI I didn't end up going with any of the LiPO4 batteries, the cost is just too much. I suspect they will go down in a year or 2 and they may be more appealing. For now the longevity, not much more weight and the cost of AGM is the best value. I could see this being beneficial for a dedicated track bike with a rider that has the ability to utilize the weight savings, but usually at that point the just stick with a 4-cell ballistic, Moty 4-cell or just go batteryless. I would just do lots of research before dropping the coin, but if you want to by all means if it tickles your fancy. Any other question let me know.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Only guy I know with one had it crap out already in a brand new Daytona. But his bike seems to have a dozen issues already. It even puked coolant on every ride.

Not sure those bikes are all that.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Just get the Ballistic and be done with it.. they are great batteries. I have an 8 cell in about 4 different bikes. My r6 race bikes are going on 3 years strong. No issues.

you CAN go with a 4cell, but geeze.. do ya really need to save 1/2 a pound?? The 8 cell is the way to go, as it will have plenty of crankin power if it takes a bit longer to start, and will last longer. I RACE bikes, and even in my 2014 ktm350xcf went with an 8 cell. :)
i'm sure there are other good lightweight batteries out there, but i know the Ballistic ones are good.

·
2007 R6
915 Posts
Just get the Ballistic and be done with it.. they are great batteries. I have an 8 cell in about 4 different bikes. My r6 race bikes are going on 3 years strong. No issues.

you CAN go with a 4cell, but geeze.. do ya really need to save 1/2 a pound?? The 8 cell is the way to go, as it will have plenty of crankin power if it takes a bit longer to start, and will last longer. I RACE bikes, and even in my 2014 ktm350xcf went with an 8 cell. :)
i'm sure there are other good lightweight batteries out there, but i know the Ballistic ones are good.
With 5 months of owning one, I have to agree with you. Put one in my R6 in April and so far it's great. It also looks good and is barely noticeable. It is easy to work around it when needing to work in that area on the bike as well.

·
Registered
384 Posts

:YEA. Have to agree with the Melk-Man. I have a 4 cell in my R6 and will be putting one in my KTM. I just went with a 4 cell because it was a little cheaper and they said it will work great as long as you don't have a superbike build.

Call Ballistic direct and talk to Jason, he will hook you up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts