Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ya'll. Upon returning from my deployment I'll be throwing my bike in the back of my S-10 and driving it to VA. I want to make sure the bastard is strapped down good and I get it in and out of there w/ no problems.

What all do I need to ensure that I dont lose my bike?
What do I need to get it up in the bed?
What else should I get?
THANKS!

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
i have my bike on the back of my truck all the time...
make sure you have canyon dancers...and some tie downs.
and a ramp so you can get your bike on the truck...and a couple of guys to help you load the bike to the truck bro.....cheers..

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I have some more questions

1. What about those 1 man ramps?
2. My truck is a shortbed, the bike has been back there ONCE before but only to go a few miles. The rear wheel sits on the tailgate, any precautions about that?
3. Where can I get all them parts I'm gonna need to haul it?
Thanks!:toocool:

·
21,003 Posts
i got a tacoma.....and i just put the tailgate down on the truck....(paytheon truck is behind me)
one man ramp is good make sure you get a ramp so you can run up with it...or else your gonna have to jump on the tailboard while walking with your bike.......cycle gears got em all for ya

if your truck is bigger...you shouldn't have a problem.....im just saying

·
This is not my ass
1,355 Posts
Ok so I have some more questions

1. What about those 1 man ramps?
2. My truck is a shortbed, the bike has been back there ONCE before but only to go a few miles. The rear wheel sits on the tailgate, any precautions about that?
3. Where can I get all them parts I'm gonna need to haul it?
Thanks!:toocool:
I'm sure about the 1 man ramps, I just use a 2x6(about 5' long)plank with a L shaped bracket attached to the end for the lip of the tailgate. I use a a ditch or steep hill to back into with the truck. Tire on the tailgate is fine as long as the front end is tied down good. I put the stand down and use the stand as another point of contact for the bike to sit down on. I don't even tie down the rear. If your in a rush the dealership should be able to supply you a canyon dancer(about $20), tie down at a hardware store(ratchet type!). Or you can it online. GL

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it's a 91 S-10, definitely smaller. But I love mini trucks so I'm golden! :D

So lets see,
Canyon Dancer,
Ramp,
Tie downs,
umm...anything else?

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
If you decide to stop someplace along the way, overnight or otherwise, make sure you back the truck up against a wall. If not that makes it super convenient fro someone else with a truck to just back up to yours and do the ol swicheroo

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
i got a tacoma.....and i just put the tailgate down on the truck....(paytheon truck is behind me)
one man ramp is good make sure you get a ramp so you can run up with it...or else your gonna have to jump on the tailboard while walking with your bike.......cycle gears got em all for ya

Hey Dan, who's truck is that behind yours?

·
21,003 Posts
some old dude....kinda grumpy and smell's like Ben Gay.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you decide to stop someplace along the way, overnight or otherwise, make sure you back the truck up against a wall. If not that makes it super convenient fro someone else with a truck to just back up to yours and do the ol swicheroo
:rant ****IN THIEVES! :cuss

·
This is not my ass
1,355 Posts

Dan, did a small moose run into the back your truck? Can't spell Tacoma without Taco

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so I've got lined up a
Ready Ramp
Canyon Dancer

What about a wheel chock? Bear in mind this bike is ridin in the back of my truck for 1300+ miles...

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
i haul bikes in the back of my Chevy Colorado to the track all the time.
i have an aluminum ramp that is about 6' long, tie downs and some straps i wrap around the forks. not a big fan of the canyon dancer and i own one, used it once and wasnt impressed.
no wheel chocks necessary, just be sure to not crank em down to much or u risk the fork seals leaking.

mine is a 6' bed too and my tailgate cables can be moved up to a higher mount so the tailgate sits at a 45* angle, not sure if the s10 has that feature.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i haul bikes in the back of my Chevy Colorado to the track all the time.
i have an aluminum ramp that is about 6' long, tie downs and some straps i wrap around the forks. not a big fan of the canyon dancer and i own one, used it once and wasnt impressed.
no wheel chocks necessary, just be sure to not crank em down to much or u risk the fork seals leaking.

mine is a 6' bed too and my tailgate cables can be moved up to a higher mount so the tailgate sits at a 45* angle, not sure if the s10 has that feature.
Hmm, why didn't you like the canyon dancer? And i'm not too sure about the adjustable thing, I dont think mine is, it uses two interlocked/folding metal bars

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
the canyon dancer puts pressure on the throttle tube once strapped down.
if u get some of the nylon loops at the dealer and wrap them around the forks u can get a very secure fit.

also remember, the more horizontal u have the straps, the better. the steeper the angle of the straps will cause the bike to wobble more over bumps.
mount to the highest point u can in the bed, the stock loops in the bed are kind of flimsy, i installed some heavy duty d rings from a trailer supply place and drilled holes in the bed w/ grade 8 bolts/washers holding them down.

where are u headed in VA? im up north by Quantico and Ft Belvoir.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts