Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Im new to the forum because I finally found my bucket list bike.
I got the bike with 3K miles and was 100% stock it even had the warning stickers all over it.
Being the child that I am I got a GYTR slip on and tinted windscreen, fender eliminator, integrated taillight ect ect.
A friend told me to get the t tuner mid pipe and stop messing with it and I agree but the midpipe has to have the cat totally cut out!!
Is it really worth doing? not only for the loudness but the power?
Any input or past experience you guys may have had would be great.
~Joe

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
T-Tuner isn't the ideal mid-pipe, but since you already have it....

Read my FAQ at the top of this section. Link Here.

What you are cutting off is the muffler, the cat is built into the header tubes, and will still be there when you install the mid-pipe. See this link.

If you want the bike louder, you need the mid-pipe. A slip-on by iteself really won't do anything because the muffler is the large box under the bike. The stop slip-on is pretty much straight through, if you look at it.

It will be more power with a proper tune. Which means, a PowerCommander, and an AutoTune, or Custom tune would be ideal. Sometimes people are happy enough with a download map, that gets the "tune" in the "ballpark".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ohio!! alot of good info there. I saw the link with the headers with the mid pipe welded in, that looks like a great solution to cutting the stock muffler off.

·
live to ride
393 Posts
Not meaning to thread jack but does the weld on increase sound a lot more than the clamp on due to those two honeycombs still in the headers with the clamp? I wasn't sure how much that would muffle the sound

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You don't have to cut the cat material put completely I have a set of 08 headers with a t-tuner that I used for about 5 months got an 05 header and it's a big difference. Follow the how to you should be good. If you don't want to cut out the cat material in the pipes cut right before the pipes get fatter coming out of the big ass box I'll see if I can get some pics of the headers I have

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
That cats muffler the sound some, but obviously not as much as the muffler. You can knock the cats out of the header if you want, and still use the clamp on, however be ready to say a few curse words, they don't exactly come out easily.

The performance gain or loss created by the cats is minimal, which is why most people don't go through the hassle of trying to remove it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That cats muffler the sound some, but obviously not as much as the muffler. You can knock the cats out of the header if you want, and still use the clamp on, however be ready to say a few curse words, they don't exactly come out easily.

The performance gain or loss created by the cats is minimal, which is why most people don't go through the hassle of trying to remove it.

I will tend to agree, I just did the install yesterday night and it really wasnt that bad due to the fact that a sawzall can cut right thru the header with little effort and the plastic fairings come off so easy.

The clamp on ttuner mid pipe doesnt fit 100% perfect but got the job done.
and no way in hell would I ever bother to take the cat out, the bike is so loud with my gyrt silencer that ear plugs may be needed for an hour long ride.

Cheers Happy 4th.

~Joe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts