Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some free time this morning so I put the rear of the bike up on a stand and took a look at the rear wheel and chain. I was hearing some noise while at highway speeds that made me think something was out of balance or in some other way, wrong.
After closer inspection, I'm pretty sure the chainis the culpret as the master link looks screwy and there are a couple links that are rusty and don't rotate as they should. But I have some questions.
1. What kind of master link connection does this bike's chain have? It doesn't look like its the rivet kind, but if its supposed to have a locking clip that holds it all together, thats missing. So that link was barely holding on. Nice, right?
2. The rear sprocket is a Vortex and its a 48 tooth so its the stock size. BUT, how do i confirm whether or not it is the stock size chain or a conversion?
I didn't see any markings on the chain itself other then "Regina". And the sprocket has 435-48 stamped into it. I checked the Vortex sight and the stock sprocket is a 435C, the 520 conv. is 435, and the 530 conv is 438. So I'd have to guess that its probably a 520 conv, but would really like a way to confirm before buying.
I guess I could check what kind of front sprocket there is as the stampings on that would probably give me my answer.
3. Does anyone have any suggestions on which chain they like?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well that was a waste of time. I just took everything apart so I could get a look at the front sprocket and unfortunately with it still installed, I can't see any markings on it that would indicate a model number. BUT, it does look like the Vortex front sprocket picture on their site.
So does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had some free time this morning so I put the rear of the bike up on a stand and took a look at the rear wheel and chain. I was hearing some noise while at highway speeds that made me think something was out of balance or in some other way, wrong.
After closer inspection, I'm pretty sure the chainis the culpret as the master link looks screwy and there are a couple links that are rusty and don't rotate as they should. But I have some questions.
1. What kind of master link connection does this bike's chain have? It doesn't look like its the rivet kind, but if its supposed to have a locking clip that holds it all together, thats missing. So that link was barely holding on. Nice, right?
2. The rear sprocket is a Vortex and its a 48 tooth so its the stock size. BUT, how do i confirm whether or not it is the stock size chain or a conversion?
I didn't see any markings on the chain itself other then "Regina". And the sprocket has 435-48 stamped into it. I checked the Vortex sight and the stock sprocket is a 435C, the 520 conv. is 435, and the 530 conv is 438. So I'd have to guess that its probably a 520 conv, but would really like a way to confirm before buying.
I guess I could check what kind of front sprocket there is as the stampings on that would probably give me my answer.
3. Does anyone have any suggestions on which chain they like?

Thanks for the help.
What year is your six? I thought the stock sprockets are 16/45. At least for 06-07.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
the stock size is actually a 532. but I don't really see that size sold too often. it's typically a 530 and 520. once you see a 520 and a 530 in person. you will never confuse the two again. LOL
there is a significant size difference.

the stock sprocket for a 04 is 16/48

1 - 5 of 5 Posts