Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 09 r6 i have to change the kickstand bracket,:flex: i'm at the point where i take off the 3 bolts that hold the bracket to the frame.

for the life of me i can't move these god damn bolts!! there stiff as hell!!:cuss

anyone run into this??? i almost brake my t-handle allen key trying to put as much leverage as i can!!?

wondering if i should heat this thing up???:confused:

any suggestions??

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
Allen head socket on a ratchet, then use a pipe or something for extra leverage. Using a breaker bar with a reducer down to 3/8 inch never works out well.
Its called a linear torque amplifier...:fact :flex:

:lmao

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Good luck...I could never get that [email protected]#er off using all the heating, torque, what have you. I was just taking mine off for PC...ended up taping it off and using spray paint on it.:cuss

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
Good luck...I could never get that [email protected]#er off using all the heating, torque, what have you. I was just taking mine off for PC...ended up taping it off and using spray paint on it.:cuss
:lmao I remember that. Like stated blue loctite and yamahas love affair with using too much. breaker bar is the only way to go. Also when done replace those retarded button head cap screws with normal hex head bolts. Makes life MUCH easier down the road.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
Those three bolts suuuuuuuck! I just did the same thing a few weeks back. I used a little butane torch to heat the bolts before I tried. Got two out, then had to drill the head off the third and grab it with vicegrips. Serious PITA for something so simple.

-D

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
Those three bolts suuuuuuuck! I just did the same thing a few weeks back. I used a little butane torch to heat the bolts before I tried. Got two out, then had to drill the head off the third and grab it with vicegrips. Serious PITA for something so simple.

-D
YES! Using loctite with button head cap screws should be a crime. Just make sure you get some new hex head bolts to replace those 3 bolts with. It will make the next time sooooooo much easier.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
YES! Using loctite with button head cap screws should be a crime.
Yeah, and red loctite on button heads no less.

Actually, I'd rather have those suckers on there than have the stand fly off and jam in the rear wheel or sprocket. I'm sure Yamaha's attorneys agree.

I got some stainless deep socket cap screws for replacement, as it's nice to put the sidestand back on for the occasional track day when it's too much hassle to run tire warmers.

·
slow guy
4,409 Posts
Yeah, and red loctite on button heads no less.

Actually, I'd rather have those suckers on there than have the stand fly off and jam in the rear wheel or sprocket. I'm sure Yamaha's attorneys agree.

I got some stainless deep socket cap screws for replacement, as it's nice to put the sidestand back on for the occasional track day when it's too much hassle to run tire warmers.
I used hex heads and a small dab of blue loctite. Red is overkill in my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts