Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 02 r6 and everytime open the throttle just alittle bit it revs way up to about 4000 rpms and sticks there, if I let the throttle go it just stays there until I close it manually then it will return to idle. My bar ends are not to tight and my grip isn't caught in the housing. my throttle tube is fine. I just put new cables on and followed the routing diagram in the service manual I have. I replaced the cables because one was frayed and I thought that might be the problem. it was doing this before I replaced them as well. The rpms don't change when I turn the handle bars. Finally I also adjusted the throttle appropriately so it snaps back into place, with the handle bars turned left,right and straight on, with the bike off. THanks in advance

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
If it snaps shut when the bike is off, there's no reason it wouldn't act the same when it's running. Nothing changes, other than things heating up. If you're sure the tube can rotate freely, the grip is not rubbing, the cables are not binding, and the return spring is not broken, try adding some slack to the cables. If they are too tight they fight each other and can hold the throttle open.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this point, I am pretty sure it's not a throttle problem but vacuum problem with the carbs, it's like its running really lean. Any further help is appreciated

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Hanging idle is indeed caused by an overly lean condition. It can be as simple as a vacuum leak below the throttle butterflys. Maybe one of the rubber caps on the vacuum ports used for balancing has fallen off or cracked. Or having the air/fuel screws set too rich, and having to crank up the idle screw to compensate.

I'm assuming that it used to run fine, so the pilot jets are probably the correct size. I'd clean things out, especially the pilot jets, and make sure the air/fuel screws are set to the correct position. There's a spring under them that applies some tension to hold them in place, but it's possible that they have moved a bit over time.

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
Hanging RPMs can also be a rich condition though.

If your throttle is getting stuck first i would look at your throttle cable routing, if it looks fine with no hard bends try adjusting the cable where it comes into the throttle block on the clip on. One of the metal parts will have a threaded adjuster. As stated check for vacuum leaks, get some carb cleaner and just give everything a light mist while its running. If you get any changes in RPMs you have a vacuum leak. Check your Diaphragms as well.

Edit: Reread your post, re adjust your throttle cable at the throttle block. Should fix your issue

·
Rubber side down
512 Posts
If you have to close it manually like your first post says to get it to return to normal, then it sounds like a throttle problem, or you at least have 2 problems lol.

·
My bike hates me
776 Posts
Was this problem not present prior to changing your cables? Did you take the carbs off to change your cables? Maybe you didnt push the carbs all the way back on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq9Oznu0wBM&feature=youtu.be
this is a video of the problem. The bike was doing this before I changed the cables. I spotted a frayed cable and thought that might be it so I changed them. I did have to take the carbs off to change them yes. I just adjusted the pilot screws to factory setting and now its running better but still that hanging idle and if you watch the video in the link above you will see what I mean about closing it manually. It doesn't make sense to me because with the bike off it snaps back great.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
WTF... that makes no sense to me either. Why don't you try removing the cables at the carbs and then start the bike. Rotate the throttle wheel with your fingers to rev it up and see if it snaps back or not. If it works fine like that, then you know it has something to do with the cables or throttle tube.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After enough playing I figured it out. It was a vacuum leak in the intake manifolds. I replaced the manifolds and synced the carbs and now it runs great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts