Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have owned my 99 R6 for this is the second riding season now and the bike has been great for the most part. Recently I had an issue where I would try to start the bike and it would just sit there and sound like it was trying to start but wouldnt get fuel or ignite or something. Well I can sit there and hold the starter for a little bit and then stop and try again etc. Eventually what happens is it kills the battery and then lights won't even come on or anything. So I turnt he key off wait a few minutes try again and usually she starts right up.

I also noticed that she seemed to stuter/hesitate when I got on the throttle in 3rd the other day does anyone know what may be causing this.

I am thinking 1 of 3 things
A) Starter
B) Ignition
C) Fuel

Thanks in advance guys I was going to repaint her over the winter new exhaust all sorts of stuff but definitely wont if this is a serious issue I mean she already has 23k miles on her shes def seen some use

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
So I have owned my 99 R6 for this is the second riding season now and the bike has been great for the most part. Recently I had an issue where I would try to start the bike and it would just sit there and sound like it was trying to start but wouldnt get fuel or ignite or something.
By trying to start, you mean the motor was turning like expected, but just wouldn't actually run? I would doubt there's a problem with the starter, as long as it turns the motor over, it's doing its job.

Well I can sit there and hold the starter for a little bit and then stop and try again etc. Eventually what happens is it kills the battery and then lights won't even come on or anything. So I turnt he key off wait a few minutes try again and usually she starts right up.

I also noticed that she seemed to stuter/hesitate when I got on the throttle in 3rd the other day does anyone know what may be causing this.

I am thinking 1 of 3 things
A) Starter
B) Ignition
C) Fuel

Thanks in advance guys I was going to repaint her over the winter new exhaust all sorts of stuff but definitely wont if this is a serious issue I mean she already has 23k miles on her shes def seen some use
What speed and throttle % in 3rd gear when the hesitation happened?

List of mods?

How long has the bike been sitting, and have you done any maintenance on the carbs, etc?

What is the condition of the air filter?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it sounds like it is trying to turn over but just cant.

The only maintencance I have done was change the oil at the beginning of this season the previous owner did oil brake lines fluid filter beginning of last season.

85% throttle in 3rd gear

I ride the bike on a daily basis atleast 3-4 times per week and this hapened out of the blue 2 weeks ago and it seems to be getting worse. However it may take 10 minutes to start the fist time but will pretty much start right up for the rest of the day as long as I don't seem to leave it overnight.

I have never done maintenance on the carbs I am thinking they may need to be cleaned and resynced as it sounded like it may have had a misifre as well possibly.

Mods include sprokets/chain, (supposidly filter have not checked), exhaust, stainless brake lines thats about it I believe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts