Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know or have measured the actual temperature of the headers near the cylinder head. I just had my stock exhaust modified and need to recoat the header. I saw a ceramic/silica manifold paint at the part store but am skeptical. I looked into sending it off and having it professionally cerami-coated (only costs around $130.00). This company makes 2 different coatings - a 1300 degree and a 2000 degree. There is a substantial price difference so I'd like to find out the hottest temperature. My exhaust is off teh bike right now so if anyone has a way of checking the temperature, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
i didnt actually check the temperature of the header myself but i was told it gets about 1200 so i got the ceramic coat for that and its great. its been over a year and no problems. ive done car headers with "jet-hot" coating also, that works good

·
Registered
6 Posts
Advance Auto Parts has a 1500degree ceramic paint I used to coat my headers. Worked out great. I used silver, but they had black and white. Hit me up and I can send you a picture. I used a wire wheel, and then sand paper to take off all the rust and prep the surface, and 3 weeks of riding, NO color fade, flaking, or paint burn off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I actually found this product and used it. It is made by VHT and is a ceramic/silica paint guaranteed to 2000*. I sandblasted my headers, prepped with acetone and coated. I then baked in my oven (my wife was pissed!!!!!!!) at 200* for 30 minutes, let cool - 400* for 30 minutes, let cool - 550* for 30 minutes, let cool. No problems, no flaking, no bubbles. This cost me about $10.00 total and a day's worth of time. Sure beats $200.00 with Jet-Hot!!!! This paint comes in black, white, grey, silver, red, blue, and orange.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I actually found this product and used it. It is made by VHT and is a ceramic/silica paint guaranteed to 2000*. I sandblasted my headers, prepped with acetone and coated. I then baked in my oven (my wife was pissed!!!!!!!) at 200* for 30 minutes, let cool - 400* for 30 minutes, let cool - 550* for 30 minutes, let cool. No problems, no flaking, no bubbles. This cost me about $10.00 total and a day's worth of time. Sure beats $200.00 with Jet-Hot!!!! This paint comes in black, white, grey, silver, red, blue, and orange.
Out of curiosity, where did you find the paint? I've not been able to find it in my neighbourhood. Also, how the heck did you fit your header into your oven??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is sold at Advance Auto Parts, Auto Zone, etc. Prep the header really well with a Prep-Sol or acetone. When you paint it, use several light tcoats. I used an entire can on mine. It fit in my oven with the rack on the lowest level and placed in at an angle. It has now been a few weeks and still no bubbles or flaking. I notice also that the bike runs cooler. My fan rarely comes on now.

Good luck.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Damn, makin me consider doin this now...hmmmm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts