Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about either powder coating or ceramic wrapping a new header I'm picking up from AverySpecialman that has the cat cut and has a midpipe already welded to it. Figure I want to pretty it up a bit.

My question is this....should I have it ceramic wrapped or powder coated? I have my hotbodies megaphone slip-on ceramic coated black, but it's a slip on so no major issues because it's really not a long piece. If I ceramic wrap the header, will it heat up and cause the potential to crack the pipe? If so, I'm assuming I should just powder coat it.

THANKS FOLKS!

·
iLLWiL EX-MaSteR gRiLLaH
1,331 Posts
word!

but i know how meticulous you are with your bike so i kinda understand... all that is hidden, so i say just leave it as is!

·
Nom Nom Nom Nom
677 Posts
Uh ceramic coating is usually done to reduce the header temperature and also the side benefit of it being black. Never heard of anyone powdercoating a header I'm sure it definitely wont hold up to the heat. If you want to try ceramic coating they sell the stuff in a spray can at most auto parts store, I believe I've seen a DIY somewhere about how to do it. I may do it down the line as I have a modified 03-05 header w/ an adapter i want it all to be one color.

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Uh ceramic coating is usually done to reduce the header temperature and also the side benefit of it being black. Never heard of anyone powdercoating a header I'm sure it definitely wont hold up to the heat. If you want to try ceramic coating they sell the stuff in a spray can at most auto parts store, I believe I've seen a DIY somewhere about how to do it. I may do it down the line as I have a modified 03-05 header w/ an adapter i want it all to be one color.
Hmm I may Look for a can then. I just want it all one color lol. I do have a guy that does really good PC and CC so I was planning on dropping it off with him as long as the price isn't too much.

But damn maybe I should just rattle can it with ceramic spray paint. May not be 100% clean, but it should do the trick.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
powdercoat won't work. ceramic coating is expensive. hi-temp block paint is prolly your best bet - since you're really just going for looks.

·
Love livin to ride!
410 Posts
Well i am very anal about my bike being super clean too! I sprayed mine before last season and the road debris kinda had a sand blast effect on the header in spots n wore the paint off. I am now wrapping it with black exhaust wrap! That way it stays pretty and wont wear off! I was going to have it coated and my pipe is out right now getting ceramic coated but I wasn't going to put the money into the header to watch it wear off again!

·
Premium Member
12,093 Posts
Don't let anyone tell you "nobody notices a header" because that's complete :BS That's one of the first things people mention about my bike when they see it. A nice clean looking header is teh :boob

·
On a journey
78 Posts
Then what is the best way to cover up your headers? I recently wrapped my headers after the spray paint on my header came off/ flaked but I don't want my headers to go bad.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
Then what is the best way to cover up your headers? I recently wrapped my headers after the spray paint on my header came off/ flaked but I don't want my headers to go bad.
Jet-hot or jet-coating is a company a lot of hot rod guys use for header paint. It's way legit. Look int that since you can spray it on yourself. It loks gorgeous on show cars where you can actually see the whole header(s)
this ^^^^ or ceramic coating. :fact

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
over time though, the wrap will help the headers "decay" much quicker.
:werd Which is why I opted out of that....instead I'm just going to get it ceramic wrapped.

EDIT - Also just called the guy I deal with for PC and CC and he said maybe about $100 to do it. Which means I should be able to get it for about $80, so I think I'm happy with that.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
:werd Which is why I opted out of that....instead I'm just going to get it ceramic wrapped.
Any wrap is gonna decay the header (at least in theory). I've never seen a hole in someone's header from it, but it's what everyone says will happen and it makes sense.

Check out the jet hot coatings bro. It's gonna be the nicest looking and longest lasting option. I have ceramic coated headers on my camaro, and they haven't held up as nice as jet coated headers my friends have.

http://www.jet-hot.com/motorcycles.html

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts

EDIT - Also just called the guy I deal with for PC and CC and he said maybe about $100 to do it. Which means I should be able to get it for about $80, so I think I'm happy with that.
Like people already said - the powder coating isn't going to work.

Your best bet is a high-temp paint or ceramic coating.

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like people already said - the powder coating isn't going to work.

Your best bet is a high-temp paint or ceramic coating.
Exactly the plan....may have written it a lil wrong above, but I meant to say that I'm getting it CC'd (Ceramic Coated) for about $100.

CHIEF....I called that JetHot dealer, and it's $235. That's a bit steep for me bro hahaha.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts