Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in the process of shopping around to find a new headlight assembly for my 02. All the items that Im seeing are not DOT approved. Will this cause me fail an inspection or get a ticket with an angry cop? Otherwise this headlight fits my budget better than an OEM DOT approved headlight. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Collin

·
V-twins Rock
427 Posts
I don't think that you won't pass tech or get a ticket from a cop (I could be wrong). To me, all it means is that it might not be built of the same material as a D.O.T. headlight. There for, it might be prone to cracking, melting or something like that.

·
Life, one mile at a time
20 Posts
Technically if its not DOT then its not legal for street use. Almost all aftermarket parts are not DOT, but there is really no law enforcement that are going to ticket you or inspection that will fail you for its use. I know in california when police were trying to target tuners/street racing they started inforcing headlight/body height laws and various other DOT restrictions. So unless the police are deciding to target sportbikes the chance of being ticketed for the non DOT lights is extremely small or non-existant

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
Yea, and even then i doubt they'll go to that extreme. Unless they are targeting sportbike riders as a whole and looking for a way to generally harass and make riders regret going out and riding

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
dont go to new york lol

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
As long as the beam pattern isn't complete crap, then don't worry about it. The part I would be worried about is the quality. It might be a complete waste of money and haze over quickly or crack easily. If you have time, I personally would just wait until I can get a good deal on a used OEM headlight.

·
....Casper....
719 Posts
i have an ebay chinese headlight, so far been OK at best, adjuster bolts are not black and stand out a bit, don't know how the plastic will fare in the sun cause the bike lives in the garage most of the time.

i can tell you that the High beam projector lens is completely crooked, it shoots about 80 degrees clockwise from how it should which renders it pretty fcuking useless. my low beam pattern seems about like factory.

·
My Power band is blue
2,344 Posts
I don't think that you won't pass tech or get a ticket from a cop (I could be wrong). To me, all it means is that it might not be built of the same material as a D.O.T. headlight. There for, it might be prone to cracking, melting or something like that.
You tape your lights at the track. I don't see how passing tech is relevant. You'd be better off with no lights for that situation. :sing

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
I believe I'm rocking a aftermarket stock headlight setup. No issues here.

·
Newb
94 Posts
I'd be more worried about quality than getting in trouble. Unless it's cheap enough you can replace again if it goes to crap and you not be out much.

I hardly pull over motorcycles let alone inspect them.

Although I have to admit the douchy neons on while riding is REALLY tempting me to start pulling more. I guess they do help with visibility but they are illegal and so early 2000s lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts