Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 r6
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I set up my headlight side LEDs to be blink when needed but stay solid as they do now??? They have a separate power source than the headlights.
Do I splice a wire from blinkers to the LED wire?? So the LEDs stay solid but blink when needed.
If possible I'd like to keep the blinkers I have and include the headlights side LEDs to blink with blinkers but stay solid when not using blinkers.
Hopefully u can understand that lol
Thank u

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 r6
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rewire them!
Yes I'm aware of rewiring them. If I rewire them will they stay on like they normally do and blink when I turn blinker on? If so, how? That is my question.
Cant ask or explain any easier.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Kevap thought he was being funny; no intent on being helpful.

My understanding is, you want dual-function as running/marker lights and turn signal lights. Traditional circuit design for this typically involves a dual-filament light bulb; that is, two independent circuits over three wires. One wire is of course, ground. Second wire is a constant 12v with ignition on, and the third is 12v via the turn signal switch/relay.

You already have this setup for the OEM front turn sig sockets. (the rear are turn-sig only and don't have running/market light function - license plate light wire might not support the necessary wattage for operating both sides)

The problem of course is, your LEDs are single filament/circuit only.

Adapting them as running lights will require one relay for each side.

But before I get into the how-to, I want to point out that this is a bad idea. Particularly at night, people won't see the turn sig; it's too close to the headlights. They'll get washed-out in the headlights.

If still interested, can describe how to use a relay to change those LEDs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
One option is to put in a normally closed relay and wire the coil side to the turn signal. It will be on when it's running and it will flash when you turn on the signal. It will be out of step with your side indicator though.

Pretty cheap, fairly straightforward and relatively simple.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
^ That's exactly what I had in mind. Because it's not actually running the light, you can use thing-gauge wire. But again, that light is too close to the headlights and will be missed at night.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If it's just supplemental, I'm sure it will be fine. OP already said they wanted to keep the indicators.

It will look pretty trick too.

·
Registered
2008 r6
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kevap thought he was being funny; no intent on being helpful.

My understanding is, you want dual-function as running/marker lights and turn signal lights. Traditional circuit design for this typically involves a dual-filament light bulb; that is, two independent circuits over three wires. One wire is of course, ground. Second wire is a constant 12v with ignition on, and the third is 12v via the turn signal switch/relay.

You already have this setup for the OEM front turn sig sockets. (the rear are turn-sig only and don't have running/market light function - license plate light wire might not support the necessary wattage for operating both sides)

The problem of course is, your LEDs are single filament/circuit only.

Adapting them as running lights will require one relay for each side.

But before I get into the how-to, I want to point out that this is a bad idea. Particularly at night, people won't see the turn sig; it's too close to the headlights. They'll get washed-out in the headlights.

If still interested, can describe how to use a relay to change those LEDs.
No, ur right 🤦‍♂️. I already have aftermarket blinkers that stick out and are easy to see. No need to go overboard.
Thanks tho

1 - 8 of 8 Posts