Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am about to do my headlight mods. Got my dual light conversion kit from saefirebird (thanks again man) and I also want to do the R1-like turn signals inside the headlight. I know it already has the holes they just need to be drilled out, but anyone have any suggestions on where to find the R1 194 socket needed? Couldn't find anything online. Also I need some suggestions for nice bright white bulbs. I don't want or have the cash for HID's at the moment. But I want to replace my bulbs with something real nice and bright. Better than stock. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Go to any auto parts store I got mine at PEP Boys for under 6 bucks. They are in the help section.
x2 I have always found that Car quest is a good source for any light harness/ socket.

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
Also get the hyper bright led 194A they are brighter and wont burn out like regular bulbs.
I have mine for +3 years with no problems.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My other question though was does anyone have some suggestions for nice bright white headlight bulbs (h7 i beleive) that are better than stock?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well obviously HIDS are gonna be the best.

But as far as bulbs at autozone PIAA super whites are usually pretty good had some of those in my last car. The sylvania Silver Stars are good too. (I think thats what they are called.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I have the PIAA's in mine...I really like them but thinking about going HID

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My main concern bout HID's is the power draw and the strain it puts on the generator. As it is I already have Radar Detector, Radar Screamer, Speedohealer, LEDs, and looking to get an autocom before long. Sounds like enough electronic devices to me as it is. HID's from what I understand draw ALOT of power.

·
Vrooom on a Yamaha
358 Posts
HIDs actually draw less amps than factory bulbs. The ballasts control the load when the bulbs first fire up and maintain a balanced load throughout the circuit when the lights are on.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ok so I am about to do my headlight mods. Got my dual light conversion kit from saefirebird (thanks again man) and I also want to do the R1-like turn signals inside the headlight. I know it already has the holes they just need to be drilled out, but anyone have any suggestions on where to find the R1 194 socket needed? Couldn't find anything online. Also I need some suggestions for nice bright white bulbs. I don't want or have the cash for HID's at the moment. But I want to replace my bulbs with something real nice and bright. Better than stock. Any suggestions?
How's that dual light conversion kit from saefirebird doing?
is it just two H4 bulbs modded to fit on the H7 socket?
got some temporary H4 bulbs in mine with both lights lo and hi..
just wondered if it is the same thing :p ^^
Edit: Never mind.. thought it was on the R version :p

·
Registered
749 Posts
How difficult was it to switch out the stock housing and the Modded housing on the R6? I want to do the mod as well But I didnt know how easy it would be to take it all apart.

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Is a dual light conversion a kit that allows both sides to light up and no high beam? I just ordered my HIDs and I have the PIAA bulbs. They are better than stock but not by much. I would recommend waiting until you can afford HIDs because the PIAA bulbs will set you back 40 bucks! You can get an inexpensive HID kit from ebay for like 80 bucks shipped.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Is a dual light conversion a kit that allows both sides to light up and no high beam? I just ordered my HIDs and I have the PIAA bulbs. They are better than stock but not by much. I would recommend waiting until you can afford HIDs because the PIAA bulbs will set you back 40 bucks! You can get an inexpensive HID kit from ebay for like 80 bucks shipped.
The Dual light conversion is the dual sided setup. On the 04, they have 4 projector housings but only 2 bulbs (stupid setup) With the conversion I believe they either do 4 seporate projector housings, 1 on each side for low, and all 4 for high (or the other 1 on each side). Other mods include both sides lighting up using lo/hi bulbs (like H4) They are placed in each side to act as a low beam and hi beam.

For the price of the Gold PIAA lights (their best set, or so I'm told) is about the same as a HID kit off ebay. The PIAA were ok but not as bright as HID's, and not as "cool" because they didnt have the tint telling people you had aftermarket lights. Go with the HID's.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My main concern bout HID's is the power draw and the strain it puts on the generator. As it is I already have Radar Detector, Radar Screamer, Speedohealer, LEDs, and looking to get an autocom before long. Sounds like enough electronic devices to me as it is. HID's from what I understand draw ALOT of power.
Our Lite Eyes HID headlight kit with waterproof compact digital ballasts draws less power on your R6 than the stock bulbs (35W as opposed to 55W). Also, another suggestion (some of our customers do this), if you're really concerned with electrical draw (and from your list of mods, it seems you are), you can add a switch and relay to turn the HID's on after you start your bike.

You can order the lights on www.liteeyes.com. Use the coupon code "lightitup" to receive 15% off your entire order.

All the kits come with our compact digital ballasts, and full 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How difficult was it to switch out the stock housing and the Modded housing on the R6? I want to do the mod as well But I didnt know how easy it would be to take it all apart.
Not sure. Haven't started yet. It is still sitting on my desk. I will tackle it after finals are over this week.

Our Lite Eyes HID headlight kit with waterproof compact digital ballasts draws less power on your R6 than the stock bulbs (35W as opposed to 55W). Also, another suggestion (some of our customers do this), if you're really concerned with electrical draw (and from your list of mods, it seems you are), you can add a switch and relay to turn the HID's on after you start your bike.

You can order the lights on www.liteeyes.com. Use the coupon code "lightitup" to receive 15% off your entire order.

All the kits come with our compact digital ballasts, and full 2 year warranty.
Really they draw less power than stock bulbs? Hmm. Also my bike stock is set so that the headlights don't come on until the bike is started. Would this stay the same way with these HID's installed?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Really they draw less power than stock bulbs? Hmm. Also my bike stock is set so that the headlights don't come on until the bike is started. Would this stay the same way with these HID's installed?
Yes, the Lite Eyes HID headlight kit draws on 35W, as opposed to the stock bulbs, which draw 55W (and the painted aftermarket bulbs can draw up to 100W).

The lights will still function the way they would stock. If your bike provides power to the headlights after the bike is turned on, then it will do the same for the HID's.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Not sure. Haven't started yet. It is still sitting on my desk. I will tackle it after finals are over this week.

Although the power consumption is less when opperating there is a small innitial surge to ignite the gas. On my friends 08 Ninja 250 we had to change the Fuse to a 15 amp fuse from the stock 10amp because when it was switched on it would blow fueses 75% of the time. This wont hurt the wireing since its so small and for such a short period of time.

And the stock function is the same. SO when you install the HID's they wont come on until you start the bike. It is highly recomended that the first time you start the bike with the HID's you let them burn for 10 minutes before turning them off. I dont remember why but I know you are supposed to do it... A lot of people forget this step...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts