Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I thinking about installing HID's but more importantly i wanted to know how easy it would be to have both headlights running HI and LOW beams??
It hate the look of having one light for LOW and one for HIGH beam, i want them both running like the R1's..

Thanks matt

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I want to do the same thing this winter. With projectors, of course.

Theres not much info on this forum that involves that ; however, there is a thread thats floating around somewhere.

PM R6Raven06 and ask and search his threads. He did it himself and I asked the same question.

Check out Hidforum & the retrofit source

Heres my PM i sent him. Not that much detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6zor
Hey bud. I as curious if you could share some wiring info. I read on the HID forum that you have both headlights in low and high beam and that you possibly installed a custom relay, or did you just splice.? Can you explain what was involved in this and how you electrially have your headlights set up.

PLEASE!!!!!

Thx man,

Chris (aka R6zor)

"From R6Raven06"
i installed "Bi-xenon projectors". in short....there is a little flap in the projector that flaps down when the high beam switch is engaged...allowing more light output. i just spliced both the low beam wire to each projector...and the high beam current to each actuator that moves the flap in the projector

Keep me informed if you get any more details on this.

·
I try..honest I do...
127 Posts
Matt r, I can see where your coming from here mate, about having hi's and low's on together, I take it from your info your riding a 2006 2CO? not an old model?
if so remember you only have one low and one hi, its not the H7 bulb that does this, its the shape of the reflectors, one has a shield to create dip, the other doesnt and that gives full beam... I have an HID kit on my 2007 R6, and to be honest I just run with the hi beam on, which obviously lights both headlights. I went for an 8000k temp light and it works great, its very easy to install just remember to by the 'slim ballast' type kit, I got mine off the web for £79, and it aint missed a beat... just one thing tho... DONT ride at night with high beam on, it blinds drivers summat terrible!...one more thing to consider, HID's dont like being flicked on and off rapidly, to try not to switch from low to high too much, if in daylight just run hi beam and low no probs... if you got any more questions pm me, I would be more than happy to help you
Rob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Rob, do you know the exact kit that you got and where from? Im thinking about getting a kit myself but theres so many to choose from, and as you have one that works well i want the same lol:nocontrol:

cheers bud

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers for your replys gents...

Would like to do it with projectors if it wasn't to much hassle, but the main thing for me to just find a way of working both lights with low and high beams..

R6zor will look up R6Raven06 and see what i can find...

Rob yes i have got a 2006 model, and can you remember the site where you got your HID's from??

·
I try..honest I do...
127 Posts
here you go lads, heres the link
http://www.convert2xenon.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_27&products_id=164
just remember, the higer the HID temp (ie 6000K....8000K...10,000K) the bluer the light, BUT the less visible light, so if you do some night riding I suggest not going over 8000K... also when you hit the link above make sure to tick the ballast type drop down and order 'slim ballasts' apart from that its a walk in the park...any probs, message me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rob, be interested to know where you put the ballast for the HID?

I've got an 05 conversaion kit, wired across so both sides are on at the same time, sat in the garage waiting to be fitted and thought I might try this at the same time....

·
Registered
437 Posts
check out pale horse cycles (the website kind of sucks, but they are pretty decent)

·
My R6 eats terrorists
221 Posts
PM R6Juiced. I got my conversion kit from him. I know he has the 03-05, not sure about the 06-08 though

·
Registered
437 Posts
i thought that they were not selling the kits, but would still do the work if you sent your headlights in.
they arent doing it at all? that sucks

·
I try..honest I do...
127 Posts
as far as I can see it, installing the ballasts is relatively simple, on the 06 07 models its just a case of installing them underside of the top access panels to the side fairings (where the fuses and rad top off are located) on the 05 I would say this would still be the case, however not sure totally, these ballasts are very slim, and take up a very small space, so I guess wherever you can get them sounds good, sorry I cant be anymore help but I would suspect there are many 05'ers here who can advise!

·
I try..honest I do...
127 Posts
ps... the projector conversion is major, I followed the superb directions and how to of a very ingenious guy on here, with a scrap damaged headlight for practice, I made a complete pigs ear of simply removing the clear headlight cover from the reflector base, I planned to try to use the 05 projectors with some adaptation, but I found that you had to be scrupulously clean, dare not touch any inside surfaces for fear of finger print contamination, dust particles and a like... I have the greatest respect for the lads that pulled this conversion off, its takes enormous commitment to cleanliness at all times

1 - 13 of 13 Posts