Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prepping my friend's bike for his first track day and was wondering if it's required? Exhaust is pretty close to the fiberglass. I've heard you don't need it unless you want to protect the paint since it bubbles up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a stock exhaust and, althouhg the bodywork will fit, I was told by Armour Bodies to put heat tape because it's tight around the cat.
Race fairings are easier to put on and off, he (and myself, if have to) could remove the belly pan between sessions or at least during the lunch break.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
5,834 Posts
Well, first of all, fiberglass won't melt. The paint might distort or bubble and over time that area of the fiberglass might get slightly brittle from the heat. A package of the heat shield will run about $20 at an auto storeand it would be enough to do two pans. You wouldn't need to cover it as thoroughly as you would street plastic

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
I would or the fiberglass can bubble, deform, and even separate.... Especially if you plan to do some decent paint.

·
Parts Pimp
26,464 Posts
My belly has been fine all season with no heat tape or anything. I will consider putting some on there, but it's one more thing to worry about. It gets wet, then dries and shrinks and peels back over time, then you have glue getting on the pipes and smoke, etc.. :nono

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
My 05 header swap bubbled on me at the front of the lower pan.

Heat shield helped after the fact no problems since but lol still havent fixed the bubbles yet.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Agg,

You said your Leo touches? I had seen in other threads that this at least used to be a problem burning through with the full Leos w/ Armour Bodies (I even saw some cut a spot where the upper header touches and then make a fiberglass bubble to seal the pan). I called AB who said that was an issue with early designs and has been resolved. I want the Leo/AB combination but if the Leo has problems I guess I'll go Akra... Thanks for your help

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
Prepping my friend's bike for his first track day and was wondering if it's required? Exhaust is pretty close to the fiberglass. I've heard you don't need it unless you want to protect the paint since it bubbles up.
I would say you heard correctly.

...I called AB who said that was an issue with early designs and has been resolved. I want the Leo/AB combination but if the Leo has problems I guess I'll go Akra... Thanks for your help
So do you not believe them when they said it's been resolved?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Get some thin aluminum sheet from a local hardware store.

Bend it to fit the shape of the bottom of the belly pan. Drill a hole at each corner and rivet it in place. Never peels and is effective.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts