Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,532 Posts
I'm new to this forum and also to bike. I wanted to greet every1 in here first and hopefully i can get some help with a few of my newbie questions from some experts here. I just recently bought a bike and really inexperienced about it.

Here is a little info about myself:
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 140 lbs.
Riding exp.: 3 miles (around the vacant school parking lot)
1st bike: 08 R6S
Safety gears that i own: a helmet, a jacket, and a pair of gloves.
Modification on my bike: had dropped 2 in.
# of times that my bike went to the ground: 2 (i was literally cried).

Anyway, i know i should have done a research b4 buying this bike but it's now 2 late because i already bought it. From what i have read through a few forums including this 1 is that R6S is not a bike for beginners. I gotta admit that i had made a mistake for buying this 1. However, i'm determined to keep this bike because i know that if i sell it and buy a bike that is suitable for a beginer, then i'll end up wasting a lot of money. So if u can, please help me out with some of this questions that i have in mind.

Here are my questions :
1) Should i buy a frame slider, clutch slider, swingarm slider, or all of the above?
2) Because of the parking lot that i was practicing is kinda small, i had never shifted my gear higher than the 3rd gear and never rode my bike over 15 mph. I'd never been on the street w/ my bike and now i plan to practice my bike out on the street. What would be the safest time for a newbie like myself to practice alone on the street? night time or day time?
3) The weather over here is really hot! it stays around 95 - 110 F. Should i still wear all my gears (helmet, jacket, and gloves) when practicing or a helmet should be fine?

although i still have lots of questions that i wanted to ask but i think 3 questions right now is enough, so i'll just leave it like this for now. Don't wanna freak any1 here with tons of questions .

Thanks in advance!
Well welcome to the forum bro. The R6 was MY first bike and I got used to her purdy good. You should DEFINITELY buy frame sliders and bar ends and swingarm spools!!! They will protect your bike in the event of another fall
If you are practicing around a PARKING LOT and not going over 15 mph helmet and gloves are OK, but dont go out riding ANYWHERE else in just helmet and gloves it just aint worth it man. and if you have questions ask away dude! that's what the forum is here for.

·
MY R1 IS A BEAST !!
85 Posts
Congrats on the bike, what color did you get. Also i agree you should get frame sliders so you don't scratch up the cases and farrings. I'm a new rider too, my first bike was my 05 raven. I'm doing pretty good, the army makes us take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation riding class before we can ride. It help me alot. You just gotta lean a lot more with the R6, o and your 6 is more than 4x as powerful lol. Anyways good luck, check into the SHOGUN no cut sliders, i installed them myself easily, with no prior motorcycle knowledge.

Danny

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the bike. Always wear your gear i say!! I also had an R6 as my first bike and got really comfortable with it, its just a matter of taking it slow. I wouldn't worry about getting higher than 3rd or higher than 15mph anyone can drive fast the skill is in your slow manouvers, just take your time and get lots of practice have fun and good luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
man you have to stay with it. nothing good in life come easy. No pain no gain. Like I've said. To learn how to ride you must be on the bike man. Sure you fall a few time, that why they make slider kit. Back when I was young when I first learn how to ride my bikecycle I fall all the time. Time have pass..... The toy got bigger, more expensive and alot faster. Once you master the skill and take that first S curve...... there will be love.

·
Registered
29 Posts
First and foremost.. wear your gear.. wear your gear.. wear your gear.. youve already dropped the bike twice.. just imagin what that pavement will do to your body if you dont get off it quick enough..

second yes get frame sliders.. dont wanna mes up your purdy paint job :) 100$ for frame sliders.. compared to a couple hundred to replace fairings you cracked/scratched from dropping..

third stay in the parking lot.. get comfortable on the bike.. stoping and going stopping and going.. over and over.. its not hard to shift.. you take the bike on the street and hit a red light.. then a fast n furious car comes up behind you.. you release the brake.. stall bike.. he punches gas when your brake is released.. up shit creek no paddle and a nice hole in the boat.. get the drift.

and lastly.. MSF course.. sign up for it.. might be awhile before you get in.. but at least be signed up for it

oh yea.. congrads on the new purchase.. and welcome to the forum.

:toocool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.