Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw Cuda6pak make a comment about a thread on here, couldn't find it, but how do you know when it's safe? Can I have it shipped back to Shoei and find out? And if so, how much would it cost? On the wheelie, I slid on my stomach, and the helmet only took damage to the shield and lower front jaw portion, just some scratches (I don't think impact). I was going to get a new one (same one) anyways, but give the old one to my girlfriend, is this safe?

-Solace

P.S. Because I don't want it failing on her if we go down...

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
Why take a chance? Your life is too important. Just buy a new helmet. You can get a good quality helmet for not a lot of money if you stay away from the high dollar name brands. Take a look at HJC, Bieffe, AGV, Noland, and Z1R. Many of these are DOT & Snell certified.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Here is the thread I was talking about...

http://www.r6-forum.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2797

There is a lot of good information in that thread. Lewdicrous said that some hospitals will X-ray your helmet for free to check for cracks and structural integrity. I'd go that route if you can get them to do it.

If you are really sure your helmet took minimal impact on your fall, then go for it. But you could be risking your girlfriend's life by passing that down to her (which may or may not be a good thing :hump :hammer ). But I know Vegas sells cheap helmets, both DOT and SNELL approved/certified for like $60-$80, and that's cheap insurance if you ask me...

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
If you have a $60 head, get a $60 helmet.

Don't take a chance. You'll be wondering every time she puts it on. Get an HJC. Best helmet for the money without getting top of the line like Arai, Shoei, etc.

·
Registered
182 Posts
TexasR6 said:
If you have a $60 head, get a $60 helmet.

Don't take a chance. You'll be wondering every time she puts it on. Get an HJC. Best helmet for the money without getting top of the line like Arai, Shoei, etc.
I've always heard that as long as its DOT and SNELL, all your paying for is little shit, like the brand, weight, aerodynamics, and wind noise. I know I'm not gonna waste my money on a name and reduced wind noise... :hammer

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I've always heard that as long as its DOT and SNELL, all your paying for is little shit, like the brand, weight, aerodynamics, and wind noise. I know I'm not gonna waste my money on a name and reduced wind noise...
DOT and SNELL approval are just the minimum requirements for Dept of Transportation regulations.
They have to meet or exceed these regs.

If you trust your head to a $60 helmet that's your decision, but the top helmet makers far exceed the regs, and they are well worth the $500 price tag.

There is more to an Arai and Shoei than reduced wind noise. I wouldn't let my wife wear a cheap helmet. In fact my wife's helmet cost $500. Hers is better than mine. It's your choice.

·
Registered
182 Posts
TexasR6 said:
I've always heard that as long as its DOT and SNELL, all your paying for is little shit, like the brand, weight, aerodynamics, and wind noise. I know I'm not gonna waste my money on a name and reduced wind noise...
DOT and SNELL approval are just the minimum requirements for Dept of Transportation regulations.
They have to meet or exceed these regs.

If you trust your head to a $60 helmet that's your decision, but the top helmet makers far exceed the regs, and they are well worth the $500 price tag.

There is more to an Arai and Shoei than reduced wind noise. I wouldn't let my wife wear a cheap helmet. In fact my wife's helmet cost $500. Hers is better than mine. It's your choice.
I'm sure they wouldn't let helmets be produced that would just protect your head minimally. They should be suffice for a crash, and I doubt if you got in a bad wreck and you were wearing a $60 helmet and died, that you would have survived had you been wearing an HJC, Arai, Shoei helmet.

I see what you're saying and agree with you, but I think that as long as it's DOT and SNELL approved, it would be sufficiently safe. BUT, I would much rather have a more expensive quality piece, and I would feel safer in it, but that shit can get expensive!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts