Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at a 2003 R6. Bike looks in good condition, frame sliders, shorty exhaust, and 22k miles on the engine. Whats a fair asking price for this bike? Pictures attached below:

Hes asking $4k OBO
Ive come from a long line of owning Kawasakis and can give a fair price on them, but Yamahas are out of my area of knowledge. But after riding one, i wonder why i never got one in the first place :YEA. Hence, the reason im here.

·
My R6 loves me
321 Posts
What kind of upkeep does it need from the start? (tires/chain/cables..the basics)

Does it have everything needed to pass inspection? Can't tell if the front signals are present from the pic.

Closer to 3k would be the target. Check your local classifieds for comps as well.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
$3k.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of upkeep does it need from the start? (tires/chain/cables..the basics)

Does it have everything needed to pass inspection? Can't tell if the front signals are present from the pic.

Closer to 3k would be the target. Check your local classifieds for comps as well.
Brand new chain and front and rear sprockets. Only about 500 miles put on it since the change up. Barely a lick of dirt on them. Oil changed, i checked, still nice and amber colored. Didnt ask about cables and levers. Going back today to try and strike a deal. Thanks for your reply REMY

Anybody else want to chime in?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,240 Posts
The amount of dirt on the rear rim and rear brake caliper area is an indication of the attention to maintenance. Also, the new chain is a bit loose. I would expect a bit more attention to appearance if the seller wants $4K. The bike is worth less than $3.5K and probably closer to $3.2K if every thing isn't perfect under the dirt.

BTW, it has been dropped, based on the scratches on the left fairing by the headlight. I would check the engine case covers to see if you can tell how hard it was laid down. Just because it has been down is not a deal breaker... but it is a negotiating point. No way should the bike be at a $4K price point, though. That is what a pristine example might be worth.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Definitely agree with the input above about general maintenance stuff and tires

- valve clearance/adjustment I want to say is around 26k miles?
- spark plugs should be changed within the past 8k
- coolant should've been flushed within the past 2 years
- Are they the stock brake lines? Rubber hoses according to the manual should be replaced every 4 years since it degrades
- Has the fork oil been changed?

I picked up a 16k mile 07 and this is stuff I had to do and should have negotiated on. Spark plugs were $25, coolant was $30, SS brake lines for $150 and $150 for a fork oil change.

$3k is what I'd offer as well. Just my $0.02, more experienced members will chime in. Good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
wouldnt budge over 3k for that....so many better bikes out there...save up some more and get a better bike

but in a perfect world if he kept up with his maintenance and took care of the bike then 3k would be a solid deal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wouldnt budge over 3k for that....so many better bikes out there...save up some more and get a better bike

but in a perfect world if he kept up with his maintenance and took care of the bike then 3k would be a solid deal
Ok so I checked out the bike today. Minus the scratches and what not, it's a clean bike. Has an 09 exhaust on it. Runs great. Definitely needs a new rear tire. Sparks were changed a month ago, coolant was flushed as well during that time. Has an 05 motor in it with 18k on the clock, and registered with the dmv so it is legit. Also had the bill of sale as well as the shop that did the work verifying everything. I managed to get it down to $3k. Think I'm going to pull the trigger on this bike. Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.

·
My R6 loves me
321 Posts
Ok so I checked out the bike today. Minus the scratches and what not, it's a clean bike. Has an 09 exhaust on it. Runs great. Definitely needs a new rear tire. Sparks were changed a month ago, coolant was flushed as well during that time. Has an 05 motor in it with 18k on the clock, and registered with the dmv so it is legit. Also had the bill of sale as well as the shop that did the work verifying everything. I managed to get it down to $3k. Think I'm going to pull the trigger on this bike. Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions.
3k seems fair given the time of the year. Hop on that q3 special before it expires at month end. :toocool:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Try and get a good visual of the forks and see if their bent I would also run the bike till the fans came on and make sure that's works too. Rock the bike back and forth while applying the brakes and make sure there is no head play.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts