Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need help! just want to see how the SATO frame sliders look on a o4 r6 and wer to put them! if u guys have same tips on how to install them, that will be great! thanks again!!!! (sorry i'm so stupid!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
BigBadBlue6 said:
i need help! just want to see how the SATO frame sliders look on a o4 r6 and wer to put them! if u guys have same tips on how to install them, that will be great! thanks again!!!! (sorry i'm so stupid!)
I just put them on my 04 last night. I'll post pics tonight or tomorrow for you. So the install should have been easy, but was a pain for me because the left side frame bolt would not come out. Unless that happens though, it should be really easy for you.

You have to remove the plastic from the bikes right side (pipe side) or at least the top part, because the slider bolts onto two frame bolt locations that are positioned under the plastic. Removing the plastic should be easy if time consuming. Remove the bolts with an alan wrench. If your gonna take the whole piece off, note that there are two plastic retainer plugs connecting on the inside of the piece (by the forks.) What you want to do is lift out the top part of the plug as much as you can while leaving the ring, then pull the whole plug. If you try to take both parts of the plug at once it will be hard to budge and you can damage the plug and the plastic. Also, there is a little metal tab on the lowest part of the plastic piece at the lowest most forward point, remember to insert that first when you reinstall the plastic. Anyway, the only other connector is a plastic arrow head that inserts into a rubber mount near the top of the piece, don't be afraid to just pull it out. BTW, the plastic piece on top may come loose (by your instrument cluster) remember also to put that back on first when you put it all back together.

Anyway beyond my huge plastic removal speech the install is simple lol, just remove the two frame bolts with an alan (hex) 8mm wrench or socket wrench with and alan/hex attachment and put the slider bracket on and tighten it up.

The pain for me was the left side because the original frame bolt did NOT want to come out. (and this should be the easy side because you dont have to remove any plastic to install the slider.) I tried lube but nothing. I finally had to buy an 8mm attachment for my socket set, tap it in fairly hard with a hammer, and push down with everything I had (make sure you don't pull your bike over heh). When the damn thing finally came out I found out the reason it was stuck was that it had gray paint on the first three threads from the factory ; (. Anyway, once you get the damn thing out just slap the slider in and tighten it up.

I really like the look of the sliders, they go great with my silver/black limited, and I think they are the most securely fitted sliders for the R6 that DON'T require you to drill the right side plastic. Warning though: SATO is meant for sliding on the track and can crack/break from a kickstand fall or over rough terrain (or least that's what it said on a little warning that came with them.) Screw that though, they seem durable enough and make other sliders look like trash.

If anyone else is going to get them I definietly suggest calling SATO Racing direct and flirting with the sexy sounding asian chick who answers their phone, she rocks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts