Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting a cheap, but decent bike for a while now...and I came across locally and this is the first place I found to ask for advice on it.

I have a 04 Cobra that eats all my heavy spending money, and I realyl just want a fun bike to ride, and beat my 10-14mpg in my mustang on my college commute.

I found a 2002 R6 with 12,000 miles on it, asking price "$1,000 firm"...but its wrecked. All front end damage. I plan on going to look at it this weekend, but was wanting an idea of the repair cost and what else to look for.

From what the guy says...it needs a whole new front end, but the frame is ok and "everything behind the forks is straight"It obviously needs a new forks, tire/wheel/rotor, probably caliber, headlight assembly, upper fairing, fender. The stator cover is also cracked. Could this be a sign of something worse internally? He also says the bike will fire up.

I looked up some of the parts, but I had trouble finding a complete fork assembly. Everything was pieces, and I didn't know what I needed. I added up some stuff off eBay and one online site, but I dont know where a good place to shop for bike parts is...and came up with about a 1,500 repair bill. Does this sound about right?

Basically...is this even worth looking into or trying? It has a clear title, so whatever happened I guess he didn't file a report or anything.

Thanks,
Robert

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
Hmm, that's a call you will have to make. If you are willing to sink the time and money in it, then it might be a nice project bike. Personally, I would stay away from it. But I'm lazy.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
i agree with ^^i'd offer much less than 1k for that...just becuase it's a gamble if you have frame damage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The time and work isn't a problem for me. I can turn wrenches all day long, waiting on parts is the only PITA. I understand why it would be something to stay away from.

I plan on making a lower offer, if I'm even interested once I see it in person.

·
Registered
998 Posts
It's most likely worth more in parts if the frame is still straight. I'd be cautious with that one. Most yamaha shops will do a thorough repair estimate for $80 bucks. If it's worth it to you, you could get one done or go in half with the current owner. You'd then know what you need to replace and price out in used parts to put on yourself

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
If the frame is straight I say go for it. Its going to be a lot of work, and your rolling the dice on this one. I like working on bikes personally, but thats just me. IMO I wouldnt want that bike to "cost" me more than 2 grand. Good luck!

·
Registered
448 Posts
You could probably strip it down, sell the frame (assuming you get a title with it) for $800-$1000, Sell the motor, assuming its in decent shape for $600, probably get another $500 out of the Carbs, brakes, swingarm and computer. Take that money and buy you a bike you can ride for say $2000 or $2500.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i was just on ebay looking up parts and there is some forks on there for sale. but you dont have to buy r6 exact shocks as long as they fit in the triple tree you will be good. If the engine is running it would even be worth it to part it out if you have that time. But that r6 in good condition should be around 6000 my 01 is 5200 so i would chance it you can always get the parts do it yourself save BIG even a frame there on ebay to but the most expensive will be the plastic but check the goose neck on the frame for ANYTHING that looks like a break in the weld or bend even the slightest bend could make a huge difference. the cracked start cover no big deal, replace it.

·
RU R6
1,206 Posts
I dunno.....if you're gonna "restore" a $1000 salvage. The parts and effort, when it's all said and done, will probably add up to an excellent condition used bike....you know?

Body alone will run you another grand...that's $2000 already. Used bikes are a dime a dozen....shop around.

·
Registered
330 Posts
But that r6 in good condition should be around 6000 my 01 is 5200 so i would chance it you can always get the parts do it yourself save BIG even a frame there on ebay to but the most expensive will be the plastic but check the goose neck on the frame for ANYTHING that looks like a break in the weld or bend even the slightest bend could make a huge difference.

$5,200 for an 01? HAHAHAH! Is that what Kelly Blue book says or is that just a wild guess from you? or do have an extreme amount of Mods done to it (PC, full racing exhaust, slipper clutch, air bruch paint job and clear coat etc etc...) :nocontrol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definately some things to think about. I'm about to go have a look, and take some pictures. I probably won't jump on it...I don't think anyone else is looking to buy it right now. Ill get some pictures on here tomorrow or so.

·
Registered
146 Posts
if you can transport it, take it to a bike shop and have them give you repair estimates. costs less than 100 bucks plus you can use that as leverage to bring the price down

1 - 14 of 14 Posts