Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stripped out a Phillips head screw on my upper airbox..so I hammered the screwdriver to get the screw out and doin so cracked the tab around the screw about 2 inches long. Will this mess anything up as far as not running right if so any ideas on how to fix it?

·
Suk it, Lee
19,069 Posts
:laugh

Some silicone would probably seal it just fine. Or that orange gasket maker stuff. A good rule of thumb, is to never use a screwdriver like a punch.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I would say it depends on the crack, personally. Since its on the dirty side, it shouldnt be a big deal, really, in terms of unfiltered air, but I would also double check you didnt fcuk anything else up if you did this while it was on the bike. You really dont want an air leak, or worse, the potential to suck unfiltered air.

If it was me, I would get on ebay and get an airbox and know that it cost me a little bit of money to learn a valuable life lesson.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
You can easily fix it with any plastic repair product ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Urethane-Supply-PlastiFix-Kit-Black/dp/B0007LTXVO/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1396026680&sr=1-2&keywords=PlastiFix[/ame]) or a soldering iron.

If you put tape or anything on it, put it on the outside, as in not inside the box downstream of the air filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input. I just got the smog block off plates installed, put everything back together and it seems to run/sound fine. Ill put a few miles on it over the next couple of weeks and open the airbox back up to check for any problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts