Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got a problem with 01 R6 here. When i was riding it all of a sudden shut off the gauges and then shut everything else down. So apon investigation i figured it was a short in a wire i had for some plate lights. So i took it out and charged the battery and it ran fine, for a day, then same shit. So i charged the battery again and started it up. When it was idling or i was giving it a little throttle i was only getting like 12.3 volts off the battery. I am thinking it is not gettin a charge from the altenator or whatever the bike equivalent to that is. Does n e one have n e ideas? How do I go about checking the charging system?

·
Registered
537 Posts
First thing I would do is buy a new battery, sounds like the battery wont take a full charge anymore.

BE4TNUT

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Check for fried wires on the wire harness for the Regulator/rectifier.

Pretty common problem.

If you don't see anything, you'll wanna check AC voltage and Ohm's test the stator.

You can also get a load test done on your battery to make sure it's not fried. If you end up just getting a new battery and your reg/rec is bad, it is liable to just fry the new one as well.

Let us know what ya find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok guys, i figured it out. I went home to work on it last night. I took the plug off of the R/R and 2 out of the 5 connectors on the plug were toast. I unstuck the two that were melted to the plates with a screwdriver, drill, and pliers, and replced them with 2 new ones and everything is good to go. Thanx for all the help.

Here is the link to a great fault finding diagram for charging problems.

Link

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.