Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
The 05 has inverted forks,larger brakes,radial mounted calipers, radial master cylinder,40mm throttle bodies(Vs 38).Slightly more power & i believe revised swing arm(for btter handleing).The 06-08 R6S models are more like the 03-04 R6.Which have non of the 05s updates mentioned above.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I would think you would have to be a very experienced rider to be able to feel the difference. This is just an assumption, I have never ridden a 05+ R6. I could be completely wrong :(

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i don't think i'm all that experienced, but i do have 5000 miles of riding on my 06 50th, and with as much as i hammered on that thing i could probably tell a difference

·
Registered
853 Posts
i don't think i'm all that experienced, but i do have 5000 miles of riding on my 06 50th, and with as much as i hammered on that thing i could probably tell a difference
I certainly noticed a difference on my own bike when I had the suspension dialed in and got Pilot Powers, so I won't deny that small changes can make a big difference. Unfortunately if I were to jump on a friend's R6, it would probably feel worse due to the differences in suspension and tires. I'm afraid I'll never know unless I buy myself a new R6, which ain't gonna happen.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
He pretty much hit the nail on the head already with this question. The 05 has more race inspired go fast goodies on it. It's meant to be more of a track bike than the "S" versions, although either one will tear up a track. For your average street rider/commuter, there will be no difference.

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
well, 05 is a better equipped bike and given year depreciation is at lower cost vs 06-08 S model, so get 05 if u thats what u need

one thing that wasnt mentioned here is that 05 has 70 section front tire vs 60 on S models - another better thing to have

however, both models would not survive the wall (i've seen your thread about your crash - sorry to see it happened) :fact

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I would assume they stand up to walls exactly the same..... of course I have no frickin clue what that question is supposed to mean....

·
I m starting to eat my R6
790 Posts
only Duc would survive that... no i m kidding

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
"survive" is a loose term when it comes to duc's. Lets just say if you can't tell what was ugly before the crash, then you can't tell whats ugly after the crash.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If I was in your position I would spend my time out of the saddle getting back into the saddle... by demoing bikes. Asking advice about bikes on an R6 forum isn't going to get you a variety of opinions. I think everyone here would recommend an R6. Even if you do get a variety of opinions, none of them are going to matter anyway, because the final decision will be made by you. By not trying out new bikes, you will never know what you might be missing out on. Who knows, maybe something like a Speed Triple or a DRZ SM turns your gears better than a R6, GSXR or whatever. You're not going to figure that out here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts