Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Having short arms will be to my advantage, or disadvantage wene riding a r6...

OK well im going to be getting a r6 in a couple of months..but my only problem is that i am only 5'6..and dont have the longest arms :/..so do you think i will be in discomfort having to stretch to reach the bars...well i have never rode a bike, and plan on taking the msf course in april...

Any help would be really helpfull...

Thanks

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
Have you sat on an R6? If not go do it. If it feels good then then your all set...

I have a different problem, I'm 6'2" so my legs are a bit cramped on other bikes, but the R6 was the best fitting one I found.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
r6 is one of the smaller bikes dimensions wise. it is pretty accommodating for all sizes though.

if you are short, you might want to lower it a tad

·
Registered
836 Posts
I am probably the shortest rider on the forum.

Part of the reason I chose the R6 was because it had the shortest reach to the handlebars. It took me a while to get used to the riding position on extended trips... 2 hrs plus. But eventually my shoulders and wrists wouldnt' hurt. I had about 7 years of sportbike riding experience, 10 years total, before I bought my R6.

Now I have my clip-ons mounted below the triple-clamp and it is more comfortable for me. But I only ride on the track now.

The things you should be aware of. Because you have short arms, your weight will be biased towards the front. You will need to dial in a couple extra clicks of front preload, and a click of compression damping. You will also want to add a click of rebound damping to the rear.

I don't recommend lowering the bike. The stock geometry is VERY good, and any height adjustment will compromise that. Even if you lower the front and back exactly the same, you will reduce the wheelbase and the trail.

Honestly, I think you should find yourself a cheap used bike to get used to the balance of a motorcycle... that way you don't have to compromise at all once you get the 6.

And dumping a $1500 GS500 is nowhere near as traumatic as dumping an $8000 R6. Trust me. :roll: I now have a sweet brand new race-bike thanks to an incident regarding a poorly maintained Porche 911 and an 85 mph left hander at the track.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Greystripedz said:
...Having short arms will be to my advantage, or disadvantage wene riding a r6...

OK well im going to be getting a r6 in a couple of months..but my only problem is that i am only 5'6..and dont have the longest arms :/..so do you think i will be in discomfort having to stretch to reach the bars...well i have never rode a bike, and plan on taking the msf course in april...

Any help would be really helpfull...

Thanks
I am also 5'6" and I just passed the MSF course two weeks ago, I definitely recommend it, and got my license. Before my R6, which I only started riding two days ago, I have only ridden moped. That was before I got my driver license of course.

Anyway, here is my thought. R6 definitely have LOTS of power, especially on 2nd gear which can quickly get you from 20 to 80mph. I don't know about short arm but I have short legs, I guess. My inseam is only 29" so while on a stock R6, I can touch the ground with both feet but only using tippy toe. That causes me to be not as confident with the R6 at stops. Other than that, I am very happy with the R6 and I am glad that I didn't settle on say a SV650S.

Also, I was planning on using Miraclegrau how too, to drop the bike 1" but now that I am more comfortable with the bike, I think I will just shave the seat padding or get me one of those Corbin seat which suppose to drop the height about 0.8".

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well, just how short are your arms??

I'm average height, but I never had a problem with reaching the bars. The R6 is not a large bike, so I don't think you'll have a problem.

As far as the other bikes, the Kawi seems to have a more forward lean, and the Gixxers are okay. The R6 is more upright, soit'll probably be okay.

·
Registered
35 Posts
One of my girls is only 5'3" and she rides a lowered R6... before it was lowered she could barely tiptoe the ground, so lowering it was a necessity. 5'6" can be done!! Good luck with the bike, man... :cheers

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm 5'3" and I can barely tippy toe it (gonna lower it prolly an inch soon). I'm shorter than you and arm length is no problem for me its just the height =).

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
yep, I'm 5'6" and have no problems except finding more time to ride. And Loudi, you think you look funny, you should see RedlineR6 on his. 6'4" and about 220-230. Now thats looks funny! But he can ride the shit out of it regardless!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yes, I dwarf my bike. But it's so easy to throw the bike around in teh twisties, i love it! :cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is my new name, had problems with that one...but Thanks for all your replies...I hope everything works out and i get my r6 this summer :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm 5'5" and arm length isn't a problem for me either. However, I'm on my tippy toe when I'm on it. Probably should lower my bike...

·
Registered
134 Posts
loki1313 said:
6' 2" and i make my bike look kinda small but not to bad. nothin like red does. :cheers
I know how ya feel, but its ok the bike if good for everybody, if your short slam it, well maybe not, but it would look cool.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts