Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i droped my bike and it hit a beam in mygarage all it did was put a dent in the side of the gas tank :cuss no scratches or paint chips just a dent but it is driveing me crazy does anybody have any suggestions on what i should do only thing is it is not on a flat surface of the tank

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Take off the tank, drain it completely, wash it out with water.
Then, fill it COMPLETELY up to the rim with water. Then freeze it in the freezer. It might take a day and a half to freeze, but when the water freezes, it will expand and pot the dent out.
It's possible that the entire dent won't come out, but it should help alot.

DISCLAIMER: I did this on a dirt bike tank a few years ago and it worked. If this screws up your tank, it's not my fault. lol.

If this doesn't work, buy a new one.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
TexasR6 said:
Then, fill it COMPLETELY up to the rim with water. Then freeze it in the freezer. It might take a day and a half to freeze, but when the water freezes, it will expand and pot the dent out.

DISCLAIMER: I did this on a dirt bike tank a few years ago and it worked. If this screws up your tank, it's not my fault. lol.

Now THAT is a fucking ingenious idea! :cheers

·
Banned
4,008 Posts
TexasR6 said:

can i be as smart as you when i grow up :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Well... what the hell do I say to that? lol. That was my dad's idea about 20 years ago when dirt bikes had metal tanks... lol
It still works on some tanks, but I've never tried it on a street bike.

I hope it works for you. :cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
dry ice

i was told using dry ice on the dent...make sure you place something between the tank and the ice and once the part of the metal freezes it should pop back into place. got that from a teacher at the MSF course i had to take.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
cup your hands around the gas cap take a deep breath and BLOW like a baloon....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.