Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on a CBR600rr, I'm hoping it could be something simple and people here might be able to help since I know you guys know your ish..

Cross posting from 600Rr.net:

Hi all,

We are finishing up the rebuild on a crash 600rr my buddy bought for 500 bucks recently. Front end is all on and everything is pretty much set for an initial test ride around the block(cold!!!)..

Anyway, what I'm here for.. When we bought the bike the guy could not get it to start with help from someone he was able to bridge two relays and get it to start.

So with the key on, if I don't jump the relays the fuel pump does not start, when I jump the relays the fuel pump starts and stays on(as if the bike were on). Everything acts normal when the bike is on but obviously we'd like to fix it.

I have included pics of the electrical diagram and what we are jumping, also a pic of the actual bridge since one relay has two R/W wires...Even if I trace them both to some place I still am lost as I don't have much experience with all this. I've worked a bit with wires/electrical stuff but not anything on bikes.

Anyway, before you get tired of reading.
Pic of diagram showing what we are playing with:

Pics of the relays and bridge, I am not sure how to tell which R/W wire is which on the diagram:

And pic of the $500 project(garage is a mess due to remodeling and just moving in):

Hopefully someone can help. Thanks!!!

·
Big ol pile of them bones
1,624 Posts
Check the "Bank Angle Sensor". This is what kills power to the engine stop relay, and the fuel cut off relay so if you wreck the engine doesn't keep running to prevent internal damage from lack of oil and to prevent gas fire.

Some Honda's have this sensor mounted to the back/bottom of the headlight, others have it under the seat somewhere. Should have three wires. I don't know exactly where it is on the 600rr, but you should be able to find it's location if you have the manual. You can jump the wire connections, but if this is the culprit, it should be replaced for obvious safety reasons.

I am downloading the manual right now, when I find it I will update this post for you.

·
UMTC
111 Posts
+1, This is an 05-06. The bank angle sensor is mounted on the headlight. Make sure it is not upside-down. When I was working on my buddies headlights, I f-ed up and put the thing upside-down and the bike wouldn't start. Flipped it right side up and everything was good. Look for the 'up' arrow on the sensor, it should say something like this: This Side Up.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
100% sure it's the tip sensor (bank) thing up in the headlight. got a buddy that just had this EXACT problem on his 1000rr and after about 2 hours doing what you're thinking about doing right now, he figured it out. good luck man.

·
1,624 Posts
Check the "Bank Angle Sensor". This is what kills power to the engine stop relay, and the fuel cut off relay so if you wreck the engine doesn't keep running to prevent internal damage from lack of oil and to prevent gas fire.

Some Honda's have this sensor mounted to the back/bottom of the headlight, others have it under the seat somewhere. Should have three wires. I don't know exactly where it is on the 600rr, but you should be able to find it's location if you have the manual. You can jump the wire connections, but if this is the culprit, it should be replaced for obvious safety reasons.

I am downloading the manual right now, when I find it I will update this post for you.
Ok, found it. Sensor should be mounted on the headlight. Looks like your headlight is not there. If the sensor is missing but the plug is still there, the wires are Green, White/Black, and Red/White.
You should be able to jump the White/Black and Red/White together and everything will work with the key (fuel pump, etc.).

Like I said before, if the sensor is missing/damaged, it should be replaced for obvious safety reasons.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The sensor is there.. One thing I failed to mention is if the sensor is not plugged in the bike won't start either, which leads me to believe it is ok as the bike IS starting, if it was bad I would get the same results with it on or off right?

Going down to check if it's in upside down...

OK the arrow is up, so not upside down. Looking at the service manual now to see if there is any test I can do to ensure it's good...

On a side note we just gave it the first test ride, thing is awesome.. God I miss riding!!! BIke so far has cost about 700 bucks.. Not bad for a 2004

·
1,624 Posts
The sensor is there.. One thing I failed to mention is if the sensor is not plugged in the bike won't start either, which leads me to believe it is ok as the bike IS starting, if it was bad I would get the same results with it on or off right?

Bad or upside down, one or the other...... you said earlier that it would only start if the relays were jumped. this sensor sends power to those relays from the ignition switch, then through the start stop switch, then to the relays.

·
1,624 Posts

OK the arrow is up, so not upside down. Looking at the service manual now to see if there is any test I can do to ensure it's good...

On a side note we just gave it the first test ride, thing is awesome.. God I miss riding!!! BIke so far has cost about 700 bucks.. Not bad for a 2004
Might want to check fuse "D" too.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bad or upside down, one or the other...... you said earlier that it would only start if the relays were jumped. this sensor sends power to those relays from the ignition switch, then through the start stop switch, then to the relays.
Thank you. Can I test this with a multimeter? What should I look for?

I thought it was this from the beginning, but with it unplugged, if I jump the wires it does not turn on, if it was bad I would expect the same results with it plugged or not.

Just leanred how yo bypass it, will try that. If bypassing it eliminates the need for the jump then I am good. Just need to find a new sensor.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had shoes like that in 1982.
A lot of old people are seeing old trends come back.. :poke (Not me with the shoes)

Anyway, bypassing gave the same results. Furthermore, I can here the relay click when I bypass it, but I also hear it with the sensor connected. I think the sensor is good :(

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
+1, This is an 05-06. The bank angle sensor is mounted on the headlight. Make sure it is not upside-down. When I was working on my buddies headlights, I f-ed up and put the thing upside-down and the bike wouldn't start. Flipped it right side up and everything was good. Look for the 'up' arrow on the sensor, it should say something like this: This Side Up.
It's an 04... If it makes a difference on my wiring stuff..

I jumped White/Black and Red/White and didn't work..

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, the two red wires go here when followed, bank sensor and battery.. I don't think the back sensor is bad.. But maybe the harness?

·
1,624 Posts
Ok, the two red wires go here when followed, bank sensor and battery.. I don't think the back sensor is bad.. But maybe the harness?

Ok, I'm back. Went over to the rr forum and found that to bypass the sensor you have to jump the green with the red/ white.
Here's the actual post and the link to it:
"Old 08-17-2007, 09:21 PM

Default RE: Questions about Bank Angle Sensor
short the red wire with the white stripe into the ground (green) and yes its weird to use green for ground, also very strange to have black + wires, definitly not us spec engineering

http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47408&page=2

·
1,624 Posts
Ok, I'm back. Went over to the rr forum and found that to bypass the sensor you have to jump the green with the red/ white.
Here's the actual post and the link to it:
"Old 08-17-2007, 09:21 PM

Default RE: Questions about Bank Angle Sensor
short the red wire with the white stripe into the ground (green) and yes its weird to use green for ground, also very strange to have black + wires, definitly not us spec engineering

http://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47408&page=2
I know it doesn't sound right putting a hot with a ground(has to be a resistor in the sensor to keep it from popping a fuse), but i remember helping a buddy get his 954 started after a crash doing this, just couldn't remember the exact wires to jump. It worked and the guy buying the 954 dropped 2g cash after he heard it run. He was only gonna give 1g before he heard it run...... bike had no body and both forks were ruined.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know it doesn't sound right putting a hot with a ground(has to be a resistor in the sensor to keep it from popping a fuse), but i remember helping a buddy get his 954 started after a crash doing this, just couldn't remember the exact wires to jump. It worked and the guy buying the 954 dropped 2g cash after he heard it run. He was only gonna give 1g before he heard it run...... bike had no body and both forks were ruined.
I can get it to start fine.. Just want to fix it and make sure it's good..

·
1,624 Posts
I can get it to start fine.. Just want to fix it and make sure it's good..
I hear ya. I'm still pointing the finger at the sensor. I've dealt with this exact situation before.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hear ya. I'm still pointing the finger at the sensor. I've dealt with this exact situation before.
I already bypassed the sensor though and got the same results... The sensor bypassed rules it out.. Some guy at work told me to check ground around the bike and connectors..

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you ohm'd the wiring out for that relay?
Can you school me on how to do this? I haven't tested the relays with multimeter yet. I just know they work. I looked online on how to test the Relays but haven't done so(No batteries in my multimeter)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts