Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I'm new to bikes and I am having a problem with my 1999 Yamaha R6.

After riding dirt bikes I made the switch to a street bike.

While I was riding the R6, I got into an accident going very slowly in first gear. I under steered a turn and hit a curb, laying the old bike down. I stood the bike back up and when I tried to turn it back on, I had no electrical power. The headlights, gauges, electric start, nothing would turn on when I turned the key to the "on" position.

After turning the key to "on", literally there is no response from the bike of any kind. It's the same as the "off" position now. Hitting the electric start from "on" makes no noise at all.

I checked the battery; it has charge.
I checked all of the fuses I could find in the tail and under the seat; they all looked good.
The bike isn't leaking anything.

My buddy, who saw it happen, said that the bike revved very high when it went down before shutting off on its own. It shut off before I had a chance to kill switch it and stand it back up.

My question is; what could've happened? Is it possible that I blew a relay somewhere? Possibly the starter relay? What would cause the bike to have no electrical power at all to the headlights, gauges, and electric start?

Thanks in advance for any help. I'd appreciate any advice in figuring out how to correct this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, ChiefSmokeDawg. I checked again and you were right, I blew one of the 30 amp fuses by the battery. When I tried to replace it, the new fuse immediately blew. The key was turned to "locked".

I tried again with the battery disconnected and I blew the fuse again as soon as the battery was re-connected. What does that mean? Do I need to check the electrical circuit? What should I look for?

Thanks again in advance.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Thanks, ChiefSmokeDawg. I checked again and you were right, I blew one of the 30 amp fuses by the battery. When I tried to replace it, the new fuse immediately blew.

I tried again with the battery disconnected and I blew the fuse again as soon as the battery was re-connected. What does that mean? Do I need to check the electrical circuit? What should I look for?

Thanks again in advance.
No problem. It's hard to say where to start looking. There is only so many areas that the power from the battery goes directly too tho. Well, I'm sure it runs throughout the bike, but when I had this happen to me, it was because I cut all my stator harness wires at the same time grounding one out.

I would look at the wiring to the rectifier, that's where I created my problem. I'm sure the power runs to the starter as well. Then I'd check over all the sections of wiring near the area of impact.

Ideally you want to use a multimeter and hunt it down by checking for continuity. If you know wiring diagrams, you can search and find the wiring diagram in the service manual. There's links to download it posted all over the forum.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your guys' help. I have access to a multimeter. How would I go about using it to check for continuity?

I'm checking for a short to ground, right? So am I going to be using the ohmmeter function of the multimeter if I'm not mistaken. Do I connect one lead to a wire and the other to ground and look for some value on the multimeter? And then just keep doing that until I find the short? What value on the ohmmeter am I going to be looking for?

Thanks again.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Thanks for all your guys' help. I have access to a multimeter. How would I go about using it to check for continuity?

I'm checking for a short to ground, right? So am I going to be using the ohmmeter function of the multimeter if I'm not mistaken. Do I connect one lead to a wire and the other to ground and look for some value on the multimeter? And then just keep doing that until I find the short? What value on the ohmmeter am I going to be looking for?

Thanks again.
If the circuit is fine, there will be very little resistance in ohms.. Like .1 or so.. If there is a break in the circuit (a wire has become frayed and grounded) there will be a much much higher ohm reading.. I would suggest you just search and read up on testing circuits, etc..

Here's a start

someone had made a good post recently explaining in high level what to do, but i cannot find it. A good idea is to test a circuit you know is good.. Like take the two connectors for the multimeter and put one to each battery terminal and see what the meter says.. Use it as a reference and test other shit, etc..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts