Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am shopping for my first bike and wanted to ask some advise.

I found an 07 R6 with 9k miles for $3600,.. sounds almost too go to be true. A really nice first bike for minimal investment.

I talked to the owner and as it turns out he dropped the bike @ 10mph and even though the bike runs/rides perfect there is a huge dent in the tank (and pretty much only the tank). No scratches or damage anywhere else on the bike,... not even the exhaust.

Are there any "rules of thumb" or things I should look for? Or should I just walk away and find a different bike?

Thanks! [ Attached is a pick of the dent on the tank ]

Attachments

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
Me personally I dont like to buy things I need to do stuff to. I also know if I got it that I would never probably have the money to fix it. So I guess it depends on you really just make sure everything else is working

·
First Gen FTW
11,444 Posts
Make sure there is no holes in it...sometimes with creases like that on metal , right at the ends of it will be a tiny hole.

let it run for a bit and look for any leaks on the block to see if it might be cracked (prolly not)

Otherwise, if she runs great and gets through all the gears go for it

Goodluck !

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
sounds a little too good to be true in my opinion.
he would know its worth more even with a trashed tank, i think it was in an accident more severe then you were told or it was stunted.

but as the person above said, check it out if you know anything about bikes, if not bring someone who does. all looks good i would jump on that offer and buy a new tank no problems.
my .02

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
That dent was NOT caused by a drop at 10mph... Just sayin'....

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
If nothing else is wrong with it I would do it. That's a pretty good price if all you need is a new tank.

If you're handy with a wrench it's a good deal IMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all the feedback so far! I found a replacement tank for $150 and I have built a few track cars so the wrench turning wont be an issue.

I was more concerned about the actual extent of the damage that may not be visible.

I asked the owner if he thought the frame was fine. His response was "how could the frame or forks be damaged when there is not even a scratch on them?"

I kinda see his point, but, am still worried about the extent of the damage.

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback so far! I found a replacement tank for $150 and I have built a few track cars so the wrench turning wont be an issue.

I was more concerned about the actual extent of the damage that may not be visible.

I asked the owner if he thought the frame was fine. His response was "how could the frame or forks be damaged when there is not even a scratch on them?"

I think the best answers you're going to get are going to be from you going over there and seeing the bike for yourself.

·
Respect Krew
3,951 Posts
How did that damage occur to the tank and no where else? There has to be other damage. Did he replace other parts and just leave the tank? If you pitch a bike, even at 10mph you are still looking at Bar ends (possibly clip ons), mirrors, swing arm spools, engine cases, plastics etc.. Judging by that pic there has to be other damage somewhere.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts

I've seen bikes that have hit rocks with the front wheel, it damaged both forks and the frame without them having a scratch on them.

Also, i doubt that happened at 10mph..

·
I can ban you
33,575 Posts
that looks like my tank when I highsided around 50mph.. and there was more damage than just the tank :fact

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
How did that damage occur to the tank and no where else? There has to be other damage. Did he replace other parts and just leave the tank? If you pitch a bike, even at 10mph you are still looking at Bar ends (possibly clip ons), mirrors, swing arm spools, engine cases, plastics etc.. Judging by that pic there has to be other damage somewhere.
:werd

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just questioned the owner a little more,... I guess it needs the upper fairing and one handlebar end. The mirror apparently is fine.

That makes a little more sense, it seemed odd that only the tank was dented.

One thing that I just occurred to me. He said the bike rides/runs fine but it has been just sitting since he laid it down. Why would he be selling it unless it was riding weird? A tank and a fairing is an easy fix,... seems like you would just want to fix it rather than just bail.

I think LMGM is right,.. I need to go look at this thing first hand. (oh and I need to bring someone who can ride it,.. lol)

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
I don't think buying this bike is a good idea. Not because it's damaged, but because this guy is coming off as pretty shady. First he says the only damage is the tank -- and that the accident was caused by a 10mph get-off, which is NOT true. Then after you ask him more, he finally caves and says the bike has damage elsewhere.

i understand you're good with a wrench and can fix things, but I'd rather pay less for a less damaged bike and get your bonding time with the machine in by rding and doing maintenance instead of buying a $3900 machine from some liar that's wrecked, fixing it and THEN trying to ride it.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Just questioned the owner a little more,... I guess it needs the upper fairing and one handlebar end. The mirror apparently is fine.

That makes a little more sense, it seemed odd that only the tank was dented.

One thing that I just occurred to me. He said the bike rides/runs fine but it has been just sitting since he laid it down. Why would he be selling it unless it was riding weird? A tank and a fairing is an easy fix,... seems like you would just want to fix it rather than just bail.

I think LMGM is right,.. I need to go look at this thing first hand. (oh and I need to bring someone who can ride it,.. lol)
honestly this is starting to sound fishier and fishier.
The way that tank look it was definately a faster wreck and 10mph, and with a response of 'how could they be damaged if there is not a scratch on them' sounds like he is trying to avoid the question.
also if you go back and he adds things to the list of what needs repair/replacement all of a sudden, thatd be a deal breaker for me right there, means hes trying to **** you over as much as he can.

bascially if you cant take that bike out , hit some corners, hit some speed, couple redline shifts, i would stay away at this point.

·
Keep it Rubber-Side Down
272 Posts
That dent was NOT caused by a drop at 10mph... Just sayin'....
^^ +10

At 10 MPH, the tank wouldn't even be touched. This was caused by something bigger.....look into it though.

Also check out the forks....if they're bent just run away.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts