Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so as some of you may know its been raining pretty much non stop since sunday morning throughout a good amount of the south east.

we got some reprieve this afternoon and i just went to go out for a ride and stopped at the gas station, go to try and open the cap and the lock wont budge... so i go back home taking it as a sign i shouldnt ride today. get home and try again... nothing. go inside get my spare key... nothing.

any ideas how to get that thing to open again without drilling the lock and buying a new gas cap?

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
Will the key turn? And the cap is stuck? Or won't the key move?

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will the key turn? And the cap is stuck? Or won't the key move?
key goes in like normal, then wont budge at all.

tried pressing down on the key while turning, tried pushing down on the cap while turning, tried taking the key out and turning it around.

ive been told in the past that wd40 and locking mechanisms dont go well together long term...

·
Life is best beyond 10k
6,928 Posts
He rode to the gas station :poke
That doesn't mean anything. You don't use the key in the ignition to refuel the bike...

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I would make sure that its dry inside and use graphite lube on it, as is called for in a lock. I would not use wd40. If that doesnt work, you may have a damaged lock, which will need to be replaced.

·
Registered
277 Posts
How cold was it? Pour a bit of hot water in there and then try again.

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,899 Posts
Sounds like your tank might be vac locked...if so, your drainage lines may be clogged. But I'd just push on it quickly, with decent force. Like p-p-p-p-p-ush, p-p-p-p-p-p-p-push...and try inserting and turning the key at the same time.

iono :dunce:

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like your tank might be vac locked...if so, your drainage lines may be clogged. But I'd just push on it quickly, with decent force. Like p-p-p-p-p-ush, p-p-p-p-p-p-p-push...and try inserting and turning the key at the same time.

what is this vac lock you speak of?

i just lifted my tank last week to check my air filter and spark plugs before fall. could it have caused a "vac lock" if the drainage lines got kinked under the tank some how?

i tried the graphite lube to no avail... hoping that it just needs time to set in and will work in the morning so i dont have to cage it to work. if not i'll check the lines tomorrow after i get off to make sure

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,899 Posts
what is this vac lock you speak of?

i just lifted my tank last week to check my air filter and spark plugs before fall. could it have caused a "vac lock" if the drainage lines got kinked under the tank some how?

i tried the graphite lube to no avail... hoping that it just needs time to set in and will work in the morning so i dont have to cage it to work. if not i'll check the lines tomorrow after i get off to make sure
Holy spit...I might actaully be right! :laugh

Yeah, vacuum. If your lines are kinked, then there's nowhere for the inside of your tank for equalize pressure as the fuel pump moves fuel from the tank to be used in the motor. Well, and this is all just speculation, as the fuel gets removed, air should be able to take it's place. But, if the lines are kinked, and your fuel cap just so happens to have had a good seal...then no air can get in, and as more fuel's removed, more vacuum builds up. If you start with a full tank and remove ALL that fuel (via the fuel pump) you're talkin' about a pretty rock solid vacuum (not to mention possible undue strain on your fuel pump)! Just remove the gas cap entirely. Use a #4 (or is it #5?) T-tool to remove the screws, and pull it off for a minute. You just might hear a giant "PFFFFFFFFFFFFTSH!" as you do so. :D

Let us know! As a matter of fact...vidtape it! :popcorn:

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i pulled the tank off again last night b/c i couldnt wait until this morning...

lines werent kinked, and i cant take the gas cap off completley b/c there is one screw thats underneath the cap in order to take it off. i'm gonna have the wife pb blast it when she gets home and let it sit until i get home at 700pm. if it doent break free i'm just gonna drill it and order a new cap. tired of fcuking with it at this point.

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,899 Posts
well i pulled the tank off again last night b/c i couldnt wait until this morning...

lines werent kinked, and i cant take the gas cap off completley b/c there is one screw thats underneath the cap in order to take it off. i'm gonna have the wife pb blast it when she gets home and let it sit until i get home at 700pm. if it doent break free i'm just gonna drill it and order a new cap. tired of fcuking with it at this point.
Unkinking the lines should relieve the pressure, allowing the gas cap to open. :confused:

·
Registered
282 Posts

That wouldn't make the key not turn though.

Why not drive it to a locksmith?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts