Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just recently bought my first r6. It is a 2000 with about 19k miles. Recently, many parts of the gauge cluster have stopped working. The tach, speedo, odometer, bright light indicator, turn signal indicator, and low gas indicator do not work. The only thing that does work is the neutral indicator, which leads me to believe that the cluster is still good. I checked the wiring and everything seems to be in order. If anyone has had this problem and knows what’s up the help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Either a fault in the cluster or something in the harness.

For clarification, you checked both fuses, right? The one under the seat and the one labeled backup?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked all the fuses under the seat, including the ones that were off the starter solenoid. I didn’t see any fuses labeled as backup. Where would they be located?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I checked all the fuses under the seat, including the ones that were off the starter solenoid. I didn’t see any fuses labeled as backup. Where would they be located?
On the 2000 it looks like the backup is the 7.5a in the fuse box next to the spares. A lot of other bikes have it in the front cowl under the intake runner in front of or mounted to the radiator.

Only one fuse box on the 2000 r6.

If all the fuses are good and the wiring is good then that points at a faulty cluster.

If you have access to another cluster you can test.

I'd check for voltage on the pins for the connector at the back of the cluster myself and go from there.

Lots of ways to skin a cat though.

·
Keep it pinned
8 Posts
I’ve just recently bought my first r6. It is a 2000 with about 19k miles. Recently, many parts of the gauge cluster have stopped working. The tach, speedo, odometer, bright light indicator, turn signal indicator, and low gas indicator do not work. The only thing that does work is the neutral indicator, which leads me to believe that the cluster is still good. I checked the wiring and everything seems to be in order. If anyone has had this problem and knows what’s up the help is greatly appreciated.
Check the large connector between the main harness and the sub harness for headlights and instruments, on the 2000 model, that connector is next to where the bracket for the top fairing, clocks etc attaches to the frame. Overtime and with exposure to moisture some pins in that plug will become corroded or even burn as a result of bad contact, IE hot joints.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts