Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 R6 here

I was riding down the highway going about 50 and all of a sudden, I'm coasting. No throttle power. Switching between gears, yet nothing happens. The engine is still running fine. The clutch has the same amount of tension. It's as if the bike is permanently in neutral. I pulled over to the side and had it towed back to my house.

What do you think could be the issue here? Is this an expensive fix?

Thanks! :surprise:

·
Motosylum Racing #132
911 Posts
There is so much it could be from what little information you give. Unless you notice that your chain is missing, probably should take it to the shop.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Does "no throttle power" mean the engine doesn't rev?

Does "switching between gears" mean the gears "click" (or "clunk" as the case might be) into place just fine? Is shift lever movement as it should be?

What is the neutral light telling you when the bike's [supposed to be] in gear?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does "no throttle power" mean the engine doesn't rev?

Does "switching between gears" mean the gears "click" (or "clunk" as the case might be) into place just fine? Is shift lever movement as it should be?

What is the neutral light telling you when the bike's [supposed to be] in gear?
No, the engine revs fine. The bike just doesn't roll.

The neutral light indicates that the bike is not in neutral

The shift lever movement is fine and the gears click, everything goes as usual except the bike doesn't move.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,005 Posts
Your front sprocket nut fell off

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your front sprocket nut fell off
seems like a possibility based off of google searches. I looked and there's this black plastic plate thing covering mine over the front part of the chain. seems to be a long hole where the nut would be. take a look (pic uploaded sideways gear shifter is right side)

Attachments

·
Just lean harder...
883 Posts
seems like a possibility based off of google searches. I looked and there's this black plastic plate thing covering mine over the front part of the chain. seems to be a long hole where the nut would be. take a look (pic uploaded sideways gear shifter is right side)
Really, that is the swingarm pivot bolt. I was going to tell you where the actual cover is but you need to take it to someone that has some mechanical skill like a shop

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,005 Posts
Take your VIN # to the dealer. Have them look it up. There was a service advisory for the nut. If yours hasn't been replaced, they will replace it for free. there is a chance....actually a very good possibility.....that the threads are damaged on the shaft. If that is the case, then the transmission shaft should be replaced. Yamaha corporate has picked up the cost for some people...even recently.... Because this is a known safety issue. You have to push them, and actually talk to the corporate customer service, but they know it was an issue, and they didn't notify the customers. But if you try to weld the sprocket on or try some other backyard mechanic fix, they will tell you to pound sand

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Take your VIN # to the dealer. Have them look it up. There was a service advisory for the nut. If yours hasn't been replaced, they will replace it for free. there is a chance....actually a very good possibility.....that the threads are damaged on the shaft. If that is the case, then the transmission shaft should be replaced. Yamaha corporate has picked up the cost for some people...even recently.... Because this is a known safety issue. You have to push them, and actually talk to the corporate customer service, but they know it was an issue, and they didn't notify the customers. But if you try to weld the sprocket on or try some other backyard mechanic fix, they will tell you to pound sand
So what am I looking at here in the picture... is the bolt actually missing? And is that actually the culprit to the problem?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,005 Posts
The nut is behind the plastic cover that is on the left of your picture. It isn't visible without removing the cover.

Attachments

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,005 Posts
Yes. And don't try running it before you check. If the sprocket nut has come off, then the sprocket will be sitting on the threads, and will damage them.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,005 Posts
What plate? That's the frame! You'll probably need to take off the lower fairing, and the coolant reservoir....and probably disconnect the shift rod (mark it on the shaft so you put it back in the same position).. Then there are four small Allen screws and the cover is off.

I am afraid Phrozen's advice is probably best. You need to take it to someone with some mechanical knowledge, or at least have them with you to help out....

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,005 Posts
Read my first response. There is a good possibility that the threads are damaged and the transmission shaft will need to be replaced. This is an issue that Yamaha should take care of, but if you mess around with it any more than taking the cover off, you will give them every reason to deny you. As it is, you will probably need to be a thorn in their side for them to take care of anything more than replacing the nut, but they will because they know they have a known safety issue that they didn't inform the customers about correctly. Your best bet is to let the dealer take care of it. That way if they only put a new nut on, and don't inspect the threads, it's on them.

·
Registered
2009 Yamaha YZF R6S
28 Posts
03 R6 here

I was riding down the highway going about 50 and all of a sudden, I'm coasting. No throttle power. Switching between gears, yet nothing happens. The engine is still running fine. The clutch has the same amount of tension. It's as if the bike is permanently in neutral. I pulled over to the side and had it towed back to my house.

ever fixed the problem?

·
Registered
2009 Yamaha YZF R6S
28 Posts
03 R6 here

ever fixed the problem?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts