Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
rockin the '08
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wtf?? I use the PIAA blue tips in my '00 R6 and the right side connector is melting into nothingness. I'm shocked the light still works.

I never smelt anything coming from the bike at all. I only noticed it the other day when I pulled the front end apart to get the cluster out.

Is there such a thing as a bulb running too hot? Or is this a fluke which is leaving me with the task of replacing the harness :(

·
WATCHOUT...I'll be back
447 Posts
I wouldn't think the PIAA bulbs would make that happen, not unless it was a real high watt. I think after 35 or 55 watt that is when it is bad cause it runs to hot. Not to sure, it also happen to one of my car back in the days, but it wasn't with a PIAA bulb. GL man go back to stock bulb until you can replace the harness.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
my guess is the bulb u had was to high a wattage for the wiring.
i think PIAA makes multiple wattage bulbs w/ the same connectors. some are DOT approved, others are off road only, u might have gotten the latter.

·
rockin the '08
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my guess is the bulb u had was to high a wattage for the wiring.
i think PIAA makes multiple wattage bulbs w/ the same connectors. some are DOT approved, others are off road only, u might have gotten the latter.

maybe. These are DOT approved H4's. Same as I run in the car except they're "Anti-Vibration" for motorcycles.

·
iCrash
1,912 Posts
they're all 60/55 = 100/110W if that helps. I had to look it up as I think I threw the package away
i dont know what the factory bulb wattage is, but i bet the owners manual should say.

i have heard of this happening in lots of stuff, but it was mostly the cheaper kinds.
at least you didnt have an electrical fire, or melt the headlight housing itself.

·
rockin the '08
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i dont know what the factory bulb wattage is, but i bet the owners manual should say.

i have heard of this happening in lots of stuff, but it was mostly the cheaper kinds.
at least you didnt have an electrical fire, or melt the headlight housing itself.
no doubt...

that's the strange thing though. Only the right side melted, they were both changed at the same time....the bulb itself is completely untouched and it still works perfectly fine too lol.

I really don't want to have to replace the harness because I don't plan on keeping this bike past August.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts