Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here is the scoop.

On May 29th I got into a little accident and laid my bike down. I know, I know, my heart sank, but once I brought it back home to repair it and tried to unlock my trunk, I stuck my key in there like normal BUT... the key lock was gone.... COMPLETELY GONE nowhere to be found, there is just a hole there and the trunk is still locked on completely. I can stick my finger all the way in there... I was never able to finger my bike before, I wonder if she liked it...

Now what I ask from you guys is... How the heck do I get in without breaking it? Are there any fairings I could remove? I'm completely lost.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
You should see a little gold colored or silver colored piece of metal sticking up. Reach near the bottom that you can see and pull that towards the back of the bike. That should pop it open.

I used to have to do the same thing. Fortunately, the lock is pretty easy to disassemble. If you pick a used one up on ebay, you can take it apart and realign some of the wafers to make it where you still need a key similar to yours to unlock it. Just try each wafer in a different slot, insert the key, and see if it sits flush. If it does, leave it there and move onto the next wafer. The chances of it having the same set of wafers in a different order is slim, but there are probably 2 or 3 that will work in different locations and you will probably have several empty slots. This will make it where you can't just open it with any slim object, but your key will work. If you need help, just send me a message and I can try to help you through it.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
The more I thought about it, I remember how I used to get mine open. Rather than reaching my finger in there, I would stick a screwdriver between that metal bar and the gas tank side of the fairing, and then just pull the handle of the screwdriver towards the gas tank, using the fairing as a pivot point and giving the leverage to pop the trunk really easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts