Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the air force in all its knowledge has decided to put me in eglin afb and ill be showing up september ish. i have been racing with masters of the mountains in utah but now, well i guess im changing scenery haha. so im looking to see what race leagues are around that area. im willing to travel 4-5 hours to race and both those tracks are in that timespread. i know there are a few guys here from that are. i cant remember his name but i know someone has there little quote as "5 min from barber' so anyone chip in please with preferences. how much im looking to get into a race league out there, average prices for trackdays, race weekends and such.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Jennings is great and cheap. Road A and barber are world class tracks imo, but they are expensive compared to Jennings.
Check wera they have race orgs in the southeast and one class specifically Florida.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
You're gonna love the Alabama roller coaster. :yes

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,460 Posts
so the air force in all its knowledge has decided to put me in eglin afb and ill be showing up september ish. i have been racing with masters of the mountains in utah but now, well i guess im changing scenery haha. so im looking to see what race leagues are around that area. im willing to travel 4-5 hours to race and both those tracks are in that timespread. i know there are a few guys here from that are. i cant remember his name but i know someone has there little quote as "5 min from barber' so anyone chip in please with preferences. how much im looking to get into a race league out there, average prices for trackdays, race weekends and such.
You would probably want to look at CCS and WERA for racing organizations.

Barber looks sick!! Everyone that runs there says great things about it.

I've only ever been to Jennings and it's great. Again, everyone loves it.

You might be in range of Roebling Road. Not a ton of talk on here about it but a lot of people talk about it at Jennings.

PBIR and Homestead are probably a bit far from you. I'm pretty sure that both orgs I listed run most of these tracks.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
jenningsGP is more of a "GP" style track with fast sweeping corners, but Barber has a ton of elevation change. Funny thing about barber, you don't get out of 4th gear (unless your using every street riders fav -1/+2 gearing).. even so, it's a lot of fun. Jennings is a 5th gear track on the back heading to turn 3. I have a million laps around JGP so if you have questions just ask. JGP has MANY track days, it's the ONLY motorcycle only track in the country (no cars allowed).
Roebling road is fun too (Pooler GA near Savanah). LOOOONG front straight using every bit of 6th gear.
I have onboard vids of JGP and Roebling on my YouTube channel .

http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=guide

:)

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
How is roebling road? On paper it looks kinda boring.

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
You must be talking about me. Lol. Barber is awesome. Excellent facilities and scenery. However, as others mentioned, its alot more costly than Jennings. Typical trackdays are about $205 a day. But there are plenty of them starting in March and ending in November. Meanwhile, Jennings has them almost on a weekly basis and year round. Still, here we also have Road Atlanta close by which is awesome, Nola isn't too far away either. Wera just had a race weekend here at Barber today and yesterday. Its many riders fav track and race weekend. You will absolutely love it. I've never met a person who didn't.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Barber is my favorite track... any others just look boring to me. I've already had 3 track days there this year :D As far as gearing and the poster above saying they never get out of 4th, uh....? I'm only -1 on the front sprocket, but I'm in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th on my R6. I stay busy!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Barber, yea.. if your moving on a 600, and the bike is geared right.. you use 2nd-4th gears. I didn't stutter.

and if any track is "boring" .. your doin it WRONG. :) Roebling, NOT boring. Street riding = boring.

·
I am "that" guy...
312 Posts
you have Barber, NOLA, Roebling, Road Atlanta, Jennings all within probably 5 hours or less of you. I am kinda Jealous! Barber is an AMAZING track. like Saltman said, kinda pricey but its a world class facility! Jennings is cheap and you can go all the time but it has its pitfalls. The pavement at Jennings leaves a lot to be desired. but for $120 or so dollars a day, its hard to beat.

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You must be talking about me. Lol. Barber is awesome. Excellent facilities and scenery. However, as others mentioned, its alot more costly than Jennings. Typical trackdays are about $205 a day. But there are plenty of them starting in March and ending in November. Meanwhile, Jennings has them almost on a weekly basis and year round. Still, here we also have Road Atlanta close by which is awesome, Nola isn't too far away either. Wera just had a race weekend here at Barber today and yesterday. Its many riders fav track and race weekend. You will absolutely love it. I've never met a person who didn't.
haha i actually was talking about you salt man! i cant wait to be out there and ride/ race it. i wish i could get on the wera circuit but i am mil and traveling across the country to race isnt a dream i can yet attain. i didnt know about road atlanta and from the list you guys have posted up i am very very excited. and its so wierd to hear you guys say 200 bucks for a trackday is expensive. if you think thats expensive then try miller. im used to 200 bucks for east/west courses, 250 for perimeter and 300+ for full! so i will def have more money for tires out there!!!!

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jenningsGP is more of a "GP" style track with fast sweeping corners, but Barber has a ton of elevation change. Funny thing about barber, you don't get out of 4th gear (unless your using every street riders fav -1/+2 gearing).. even so, it's a lot of fun. Jennings is a 5th gear track on the back heading to turn 3. I have a million laps around JGP so if you have questions just ask. JGP has MANY track days, it's the ONLY motorcycle only track in the country (no cars allowed).
Roebling road is fun too (Pooler GA near Savanah). LOOOONG front straight using every bit of 6th gear.
I have onboard vids of JGP and Roebling on my YouTube channel .

http://www.youtube.com/user/gregmelka?feature=guide

:)
awesome vid melk-man! love that front straight! reminds me of millers front straight, i think the most sketch i have ever felt on a bike was maxing out 6th down millers from straight in 2 inches of water last year at the wera round. i was running some q2's that i tried to put some extra scyping into. never knew bikes could hydroplane in a straight line! ahhhh i cnat wait to get out to these tracks and ride with you guys. looks like there is a awesome group out there!

·
track is legal heroin
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Barber, yea.. if your moving on a 600, and the bike is geared right.. you use 2nd-4th gears. I didn't stutter.

and if any track is "boring" .. your doin it WRONG. :) Roebling, NOT boring. Street riding = boring.
+1 once i hit my first trackday, my street fairings never went back on and i have never looked back!

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
you have Barber, NOLA, Roebling, Road Atlanta, Jennings all within probably 5 hours or less of you. I am kinda Jealous! Barber is an AMAZING track. like Saltman said, kinda pricey but its a world class facility! Jennings is cheap and you can go all the time but it has its pitfalls. The pavement at Jennings leaves a lot to be desired. but for $120 or so dollars a day, its hard to beat.
jennings actually has lots of grip, but yes.. a few of the corners have some patchwork that makes it feel like there is less grip than there actually is. Turn 8 has lots of gouges from the footpegs after bikes crash. Just late apex t8, and you avoid ALL that mess :)
It is hard to compare the facilities for sure.. Barber has more $ in the ENTRANCE to the park than JenningsGP has in the entire facility including the track. BUT! JenningsGP has lots of track days whenever you want, and a great bunch of people that are regulars there. Anyone fits right in there.

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,460 Posts
jennings actually has lots of grip, but yes.. a few of the corners have some patchwork that makes it feel like there is less grip than there actually is. Turn 8 has lots of gouges from the footpegs after bikes crash. Just late apex t8, and you avoid ALL that mess :)
It is hard to compare the facilities for sure.. Barber has more $ in the ENTRANCE to the park than JenningsGP has in the entire facility including the track. BUT! JenningsGP has lots of track days whenever you want, and a great bunch of people that are regulars there. Anyone fits right in there.
And Monday track days are $105 :secret

·
iRun
33,319 Posts

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
haha i actually was talking about you salt man! i cant wait to be out there and ride/ race it. i wish i could get on the wera circuit but i am mil and traveling across the country to race isnt a dream i can yet attain. i didnt know about road atlanta and from the list you guys have posted up i am very very excited. and its so wierd to hear you guys say 200 bucks for a trackday is expensive. if you think thats expensive then try miller. im used to 200 bucks for east/west courses, 250 for perimeter and 300+ for full! so i will def have more money for tires out there!!!!
Awesome man! Miller is one of the tracks on my bucket list. I would love to drive out there and do the Yamaha School. But def keep us posted on when you get trsf'd. We'll link up at the track and show you a good time with our southern hospitality. :fact

1 - 18 of 18 Posts