Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I eat my R6 haha
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll, The DMV gave me a new license plate the other day to put on my bike and I cannot figure out how to take the old one off... the problem is, the two lights to light up the license plate also happen to be the bolts holding it on there... so when u try to take it off it has wires running through the holes, so my options are either cut the wires or disconnect them and run it through... I've looked everywhere online and cant figure it out.. does ANYONE know what i'm talking about at all or has had to deal with this?? i have an 03 R6 and I need help! thank you for your time

·
I eat my R6 haha
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
see i was thinking that too but i would rather not if there is an easier way to do it... i'm just thinkin there has to be a trick to it i'm not seeing.... it's just pissing me off because i think its friggin retarded how they did this lol

·
I eat my R6 haha
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i thought about that and tried that but when u look under passenger seat none of the wires are exposed so i guess i'm going to have to disassemble the whole freakin thing

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
yeah i thought about that and tried that but when u look under passenger seat none of the wires are exposed so i guess i'm going to have to disassemble the whole freakin thing
youre making it sound like the tail plastics are tough to remove. they arent that hard. i think its like 8 push rivets and then 3 screws(or 3 zip ties for me). just pop out the push rivets and undo those screws and it pops right off.

obviously there is a connector somewhere, since they didnt just magically run the wire through there:lmao

·
I eat my R6 haha
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i didnt know it was that easy i have never taken anything off that bike... so i may just try that i guess so i can find the wiring harness thanks

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
sorry if i jumped on your case. im gonna try to make it up to you and be a bit more helpful. i just went out to the bike and snagged some pictures of where the screws/push rivets are, and i am sending them from my phone to the computer now. hopefully that will be more help

now yours may have screws where mine has push rivets, im not sure. honestly, screws may be easier if thats what is on there:lmao

for the push rivets, i just GENTLY slide a knife blade under it and give it a little wiggling pry. eventually, it pops out. if that doesnt work or you are afraid you will break something(you wont, but in case youre worried like i was at first), just use a serrated knife and try to cut right through the rivet.

three behind the passenger pegs(6 total...3 on each side...could only get 2 in the pic)

two right under the battery tray(one on each side...the rounded head where there is glare, not the recessed thing. i didnt know it was there)

the third one behind the pass peg(one on each side...that hole is where mine is supposed to be)

part that gets bolted down(or zip tied). its under the seat. if you dont know how to remove the seat, there are 2 screws at the back. undo those and lift out the seat

screw under passenger seat(mine is big because of an aftermarket subframe). dont worry about that clusterfuck of wires on mine. yours should be bundled together a lot better. if they arent, just stuff em in there like i did

to remove the tail plastic, you will prolly have to flex it a bit. dont worry, it wont break easily. you can manhandle it pretty good(but only try to flex it as needed).

if you cant see the pictures embedded, i uploaded them and they should be in the same order.

Attachments

·
I eat my R6 haha
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow thank you jebova for takin the time yeah i'll prolly do that tomorrow morning that helps A LOT you have no idea

·
Registered
424 Posts
on the plastic rivets just push in the center part and that releases them

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
on the plastic rivets just push in the center part and that releases them
depends. if he has the ones in it like mine, there is no center part to push in. mine are just the little panel clips for cars. and most i know of, its push the center part in to lock it in.

·
Registered
424 Posts
depends. if he has the ones in it like mine, there is no center part to push in. mine are just the little panel clips for cars. and most i know of, its push the center part in to lock it in.
you push the center piece flush with the rest of the clip to lock it in place and push it in more to unlock it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts