Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've had my 06 r6 for like month and a half. It has 7k miles. Today I went to drop my gf off and turned off the bike... Was ready to bounce and the my bike wouldnt turn on. All the lights were on and fan went off(since it was a hot day and had been riding for a while), but when I tried starting it, it would just like click and would do a full tach sweep... (meaning the needle for the rpms would go all the way and back). This happened to me before with my 600rr and it was a dead battery. Does it mean by batter is out? I mean my bike only has 7k miles and is only 2 yrs old. Are you serious the batteries on the yamahas go out that fast? I ended up roll starting it, LMK people. thanks

·
Banned
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
regulator, stator, alternator, etc.

I'd do a search.
well after this happened I pushed started it and took it home and then took the battery to get tested. Got back put the battery back turned it on and it ran fine. I did this 2 more times. This is the first time it has happened ever. So I'm just going to see if it happens again and then I'll get more into it. I'm really crossing my fingers and hoping it was nothing... even though is weird. but thanks heywood

·
....almost finished...
36 Posts
....usually stuff like that is just a bad connection....especially, given the age of your bike. Check the ground, to start. You may have already fixed it, when you took the battery out, to have it tested.....and re-tightened the connections. :sing

·
pat = god
3,303 Posts
^ reading what happened I started to think maybe bad terminal connections too.

freakish event? probably not. shit usually happens for a reason.

lol @ heywood

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
my old car did that to me once. My step dad was like you need to clean the ground cables. of course being 17 I thought he was nuts....so I cleaned them, and viola, it started right up.

but if I were you, I'd check the charging voltage while it's running just to make sure the rectifier/regulator is working properly.

older R6's had a problem with the regulators prior to 03. but that doesn't mean any bike is immune to it.

yuasa batteries are probably the best battery you can get. mine is still the original. and I never put it on a charger in the winter. it's a AGM battery, they don't need to be charged over winter like lead acid batteries.

from yuasa's website,
"""Long Life
Because of its lead calcium design, the AGM battery will hold its specific gravity more than three times longer than conventional lead antimony types. This means much longer periods between charges when the battery is used in a standby mode, like winter storage"""
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/batteries.asp

·
Registered
22 Posts
try hooking up your bike to a battery tender just to charge it up....that usually works for me. Sometimes the battery testers at autozone or pepboys read the battery is OK but when I get back and hook it up it wont crank.

A Battery Tender is an awesome investment for motorcycle riders, especially ones that dont ride as often as we would like.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
almost gauranteed to be a bad battery or a poor connection, most likely a bad connection. If it runs after a push start, check the headlights (wow, that sounds bad, but good bad...). IF the headlights look dim or orange, you likely have a bad battery or loose connection. Always start with the simple, cheap (or free) stuff first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts