Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought an 01 r6 from some guy. Everything was fine till a few days after purchase, i rolled the bike outta the garage, and the it didnt start, just made a clicking noise. I dont know much about motorcycles yet, but can someone please suggest some kinda solution to this. i wanna be able to go to the shop and tell them whats wrong rather than them telling me and i have no idea and possibly get ripped off. The battery is brand spanking new (i bought it myself) and as far as i know, everything was fine with the bike till the 3rd day. ANY SUGGESTIONS????

Im so n00bish, i posted this in the wrong forum the first time :p[/img]

·
Registered
836 Posts
I am assuming that you followed the instructions for the initial charging of the battery before installing it... right?

Charge the battery on a trickle charger overnight. See if the bike starts up, and keep an eye on it.

The bike just may have a weak alternator, and if it has higher wattage aftermarket bulbs and you are running with the brights on, you may be draining faster than you are recharging. Or the alternator may be toast... motorcycle alternators are not the most sturdy electronic componants out there.

I wonder sometimes whether Lucas electronics is still making bike parts. :roll:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am also a noob, but maybe check your connections. A loose or corroded connection can create a high amount of resistance which reduces voltage and amperage to the starter which would cause the same problems as a weak battery.

Good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, i didnt know you needed to trickle charge the battery outta the box. <<n00b reminder>> But when the battery is in, all lights are fine and power seems fine. I guess ill try charging it and see what happens then. I already checked the cables and fuses. another thing i dont get is, sometimes after the bike has been sitting for a while, i go to try to turn it on, and it starts to turn over like it has a low battery, but once it starts and i ride it for about ten minutes and then shut it off, it wont start again. does this sound like a familiar problem to anyone??

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its your battery for sure. Just charge it and have another go at it. if that dosnt work, make sure to check all connections. It kinda sounds like a bad conection some where,.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a battery charger but it charges at 12v/2amp, 12v/10 amp and 12v/50 amp. Which setting is best? and for how long?? sorry about my amatuer questions, i dont wanna burst the battery. This is my first bike.:p

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have a Battery Tender, so I don't know shit about the settings to use with a normal 12v charger.

Hopefully someone else on here can chime in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Regular battery chargers are to powerful for motorcycle batteries. A believe a batterie tender charges at 1 amp and automatically shuts off before overcharging. If you must use a regular charger, set it at it's lowest setting and start with 30 minutes to an hour at the most.

·
Registered
9 Posts
adhem_t said:
Its your battery for sure. Just charge it and have another go at it. if that dosnt work, make sure to check all connections. It kinda sounds like a bad conection some where,.
what he said...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts