Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a long write up boys hope ya ready 👊
Recently picked up a Yamaha r6r 2003 at 32k with full service history. Went to view the bike and it ran perfect but the guy left the tank pretty much empty. Bought the bike n filled it up for the journey home .. this is where the problems started

As soon as I left I noticed the idle had started to dip n bounce the bike was missing low down like it had dropped a cylinder and couldn't hold idle/would stall at lights or a dipped clutch. Had no problems re starting and pulled great from 4k to redline

Dumped the fuel the next day and cleaned out the TPS as it's a known problem for these bikes reset diagnostics within manual specs. This stopped the stalling but the idle still bounces between 800-1850. And the bike has a very slight hesitation putting on the power below 4k .. really hard to notice though.
Ran some cheap injector cleaner and high octane fuel (about 2 tanks) and have done new plugs while checking for air leaks.. looks like PO also fitted a brand new k&n air filter. But I still have a problem with idle and bad low end power.

Seems like a coil problem but all coils measured within spec and after the header water test i couldn't notice a difference in evaporation. One thing I did notice is the older plugs ran different colour readings.. 3 looked dark and overused but one had a white/tan tip suggesting a lean condition on 1 cylinder. Bike does seem to run slightly better after the plug swap. But we still not right :/
Ran the diagnostics and came up with a code 46 (irregular power to the FI unit) which suggests a charging problem. But the battery doesnt drain or go flat and I have no problems starting the bike. On the meter it read around 12.6 at idle and at 5k it reads about 13.something which seems a little low but indicates the RR is somewhat working. I have a new one ordered

So now I'm left with -
Power problem causing the FI or ECU to missfire
A injector blockage from running the tank pretty much empty (PO fault)
Potential Coil failure
Hanging valve (valve adjustment is every 26k)
Throttle bodys out of sync

Help me out before I replace the lot 😭🤬

Forgot to add .. when I'm riding n stop at lights the idle likes to stay at around 2k now and doesnt bounce.. leave it too long and we start sounding like a v twin ☠

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2003 yamaha r6r (cali grey import ffs.. didnt show on report)
32k miles with full service history
New spark plugs
Upgraded coils
K&n air filter
ART slip on (being replaced with a black widow can tomorrow)
Has a datatool s3 fitted

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Swapped out R/R with no change but noticed when the bike is running at idle (warmed up) if I switch over to high beam there is a delay/flicker and the idle drops massively. Happens with old and new R/R.. I did another meter test on the battery and its reading 14+ at idle with no change when revved to 5k. Bike is still bouncing at idle but worse when electrical load is increased

Thinking the stator is failing so will be swapping this out next

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So new plugs n coils.. new battery n R/R .. injector cleaner and seafoam tested n failed.. stator checked out fine so replacement was returned.. throttle cables checked.. tps cleaned and reading in spec.. checked for vacuum leaks around airbox.. fuel injectors/pump operating fine when checked with the ob diagnostics.. coolant system flushed n refilled .. adjusted idle screw correctly.

Over 300 views on this post .. with no reply

Does anyone have ideas on this ?? Anything !!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts