Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I recently bought a preowned R6 2007. It had only 20 miles on it . I know the motorcycle was idle for long time . The only thing the owner did was draining out the Gas and he change the oil and added a new battery to it . The motorcycle was always garaged and their were no weather cracks on tires.

When I take it out for a ride it was getting hot around 200+ F . I checked the coolant level it was at the lower end of the line. Now I need to buy a new coolant . Don't know what brand is in their and what to buy ? Need help from the pro bro's here :bow.

Needed advice :bowroll in what all the other maintenance things should I look in the motorcycle ? :fact

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
You may want to take a gander inside your gas tank. When a bike is going to sit for a while, it is recommended to fill the tank and put fuel stabilizer in it. Doing this reduces the amount of the inner tank exposed to air, which can corrode it.

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
+1 on watter wetter or engine ice as long as it doesn't get below freezing where you live.

I would change the oil and filter if it has been sitting that long. Also check airbox/filter to make sure there are no mice/bugs. Clean and lune chain and check tension. Probably could use some fresh brake fluid too. Check tire pressures if you haven't yet!

·
I trailride with my R6
67 Posts
+1 on watter wetter or engine ice as long as it doesn't get below freezing where you live.

I would change the oil and filter if it has been sitting that long. Also check airbox/filter to make sure there are no mice/bugs. Clean and lune chain and check tension. Probably could use some fresh brake fluid too. Check tire pressures if you haven't yet!
Do you have any specific recommendations for coolant in a climate that does get below freezing?

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Do you have any specific recommendations for coolant in a climate that does get below freezing?
ENGINE ICE
it's not just a coolant and it's anti-freeze too. You will not need more than 1 bottle. If your present coolant is green, it is likely ethel glycol based, engine ice is poly glycol based thus won't mix with regular anti-freeze.. it can gel, so just drain and run some water through your system, drain again.. then put the engine ice in. http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112151 Here is the flush link the guy posted above - with pictures.
Keep in mind, as hot as it is, your gonna see 200+- temps occasionally. At highway speed for awhile it should drop, but around town it's gonna get up there a bit. Not a problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey guys thanks for your replies. I didn't had the necessary tools . so I took to the near by Repair shop. And I asked for the Engine Ice . They didn't have it. So they used Cool Aide . They said it is cool aide Water wetter & Distilled water. Ride back home was around 5 miles still the temp was around 213F. I hope it is normal.

·
I trailride with my R6
67 Posts
Hey guys thanks for your replies. I didn't had the necessary tools . so I took to the near by Repair shop. And I asked for the Engine Ice . They didn't have it. So they used Cool ride . They said it is cool aid Water wetter & Distilled water. Ride back home was around 5 miles still the temp was around 213F. I hope it is normal.
judging from past experience, that is not normal. Unless you were idling at traffic lights, or something similar, all the way home. My bike runs around 200-210 city, 160-190 riding. Take that info FWIW

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Hey guys thanks for your replies. I didn't had the necessary tools . so I took to the near by Repair shop. And I asked for the Engine Ice . They didn't have it. So they used Cool Aide . They said it is cool aide Water wetter & Distilled water. Ride back home was around 5 miles still the temp was around 213F. I hope it is normal.
Was it 213 while riding or stopped

·
lolerbaiting
509 Posts
judging from past experience, that is not normal. Unless you were idling at traffic lights, or something similar, all the way home. My bike runs around 200-210 city, 160-190 riding. Take that info FWIW
This. I only see higher temps when I'm stuck in traffic. (07 r6 with 30k miles).

sent from awesomeness

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
didn't have the tools?? An 8mm wrench and a pliers to undo the lower hose clamp?
For the cost of what they likely charged you, you could have purchased a manual and those tools and had some $ left over. I suggest you learn to do the simple stuff yourself.. get a manual asap.

Also.. FYI.. when a bunch of people suggest something (like Engine ice) and the place doesn't have it, don't get a substitute. Hold out for what people are telling you to get. Personally, i would have just ran a 50/50 mix of anit-freeze and water before i ran water-weter and distilled water. YOU NEED TO BE SURE that stuff has RUST INHIBITORS and water pump lube. I would guess it does, but you better be sure.

·
Theturtle7023
1,102 Posts
Just switched my engine ice to 50:50 water weyter: distilled water. Hopefully it is as good as I have heard. BTW it has rust inhibiting stuff in it, that's why you add it to water instead of just running water.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts