Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Need some help. i have a highmount M$ pipe on my bike. When I gun the bike and the RPM's get up there the exhaust makes a popping noise like a gunshot. Do you know what causes this noise and is it normal? Thanks for your help in advanced.

·
I ride her hard!!!
195 Posts
Normal

I have the M$ also, but in standard mount, and it does the same thing. It just means you're running a little rich. If it bothers you that much, get a PC and upload the M$ s/o map on PC's website.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Man, talk about a big pop. I have a Yoshimura TRS Ti with a PCIIIusb. Got it all set up and after months just realized that it does that same thing after riving it high (10000k) and letting it rev down. So I got the laptop hooked up to it and I did some fine-tuning, seems to be ok now. I was pretty cool seeing the deep blue flame shoot out though at night.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
yes, this is very common on engine braking, decleration.

On the R6, their is a air intake system (AIS) that is reed valve pressure controlled for emissions.

On decelleration, when their is 0 or negative pressure on the exhaust port, the reed valve will open which sucks in fresh air into the hot exhaust system. Decelleration puts lots of unburnt gas into the exhaust causing bad emissions. What happens is you have hot exhaust, hot enough to burn fuel, but not enough oxygen, so when the valve opens, the air rushes in and makes a suitable mixture for a burn......a burn in which we hear as a a boom, or backfire. Although it is a very common symptom of a acclerating lean pop, it is due to a rich condition like mentioned.

If/when you get a custom map done for your bike, almost all popping will eliminate. Mine barely pops now, but it still annoys me, so i may remove my AIS shit. If not just for the popping, for something to do on a rainy day :hammer

1 - 4 of 4 Posts