Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been scouring the threads and I can't find anybody with my exact symptoms. So I was out for a ride today, nothing heavy, and when I pulled up to a stop sign about half way home, I pulled the clutch in and the bike just died. I stopped, hit the ignition and it turns over well, but it just won't idle. If I give it a bit of gas constantly it will stay running but as soon as I let off it dies. I confirmed that my battery was good last week and just now checked to make sure it was charged (12.5V). I'm about to go check to see if the coils are original b/c I've heard those had some problems. Any help appreciated.

·
nova r6
3,228 Posts
That's where I would start, and might as well throw a new set of spark plugs at the same time.

** Also is yours a 2003? If so these actually had a recall on the coils so call your local dealer and have them check the vin. if they haven't been done they should cover them

·
....Casper....
719 Posts
had this exact problem on my 05 it kept getting worse, i cleaned the TPS and it seems to be perfect since then. have only put about 200 miles on it since the fix but havent had any issues since.

cleaning the TPS takes about 20 minutes and only costs a can of cleaner :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Turns out the recall for the coils has expired. On the bright side, she ran great today. No idle problems at all. If it happens again though, I'll be going back to have the coils pulled, hopefully I have time to do that myself though.

·
....Casper....
719 Posts
Turns out the recall for the coils has expired. On the bright side, she ran great today. No idle problems at all. If it happens again though, I'll be going back to have the coils pulled, hopefully I have time to do that myself though.
i really suggest cleaning your throttle position sensor first considering it takes 1/3 of the time and you don't have to remove tank/airbox all that to get to it. 15 minutes and you will know if its fixed or not.

checking the coils with a multimeter is easy, might as well replace the spark plugs while you're down there. you can find the specs on the coil resistances from yamaha or google.

·
....Casper....
719 Posts
try turning UP the idle ? .. you can do that on the 03-05/S model with the knob on the right side, just above the clutch cover.
my problem was intermittent and the idle was perfect when the bike ran properly (2000rpm on warm up and 1500ish T>130F)

but if your problem was constant it could be as simple as the idle being turned to low

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My problem just happened on one ride. I had been idling at ~1300 while at temp and now I'm up to ~1500-1800. Still haven't been able to ride again but hopefully the problem was that simple.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts