Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to this forum. I actually created an account for this reason.
I have recently bought a 2001 yahama r6. Apparently the previous owner removed the cable to the rear seats and I have been looking all over the sites to find an answer. I couldn't find one on how to remove one without the cables and not destroying the seat. Please help and thank you!!

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Looking at the diagram, it seems to be similar to my 06.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/2001/R6+-+YZF-R6NC/SEAT/parts.html

http://fillinbox.com/media/default/hkmoto%20logo/a/a05_rear_seat/yamaha-r6/98-02/r6%2098-02%20(3).jpg

You turn the key in the rear seat, which pulls the cable, which rotates a small metal piece (#18). When that metal piece rotates, it locks/releases a plastic tab on the bottom of the seat. You're going to have to see if you can jam a screwdriver or something under the front of the rear seat and rotate that piece. Otherwise see if there are any bolts, nuts, or screws you can take off to get the cowling out of the way and get in there.

Not sure what else can be said. Good luck.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Jesus Christ do not jam a screw driver in there. Idk bout your year model, but take the under tail faring off and you should be able to see it.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
It was just a suggestion. Obviously common sense is required. You'll need to see if there is a gap big enough for you to get something in there to rotate the tab without mangling your bike.

I've never tried, but I seem to remember on my '06 there are bolts under the seat that need to come out before either the top or the bottom cowling will come off. Not sure about an '01.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Damn that was a massive brain fart. I was thinking you said jam a screw driver in the lock lol. Idk why

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Damn that was a massive brain fart. I was thinking you said jam a screw driver in the lock lol. Idk why
Ha, yeah that probably wouldn't be the best idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts