Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I've been reading these forums for a long time but I've never actually posted anything.

I was riding yesterday and my bike started to lose oil pressure. I had a look and there's a crack in the crankcase? I think.

Could anyone please look at the photo and tell me which part it is?

If somebody can identify it, is it replaceable?

Thanks in advance guys

-Savva

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Swap engines in/out or swap the bike?

I'm pretty good with mechanical things honestly, but without pulling the whole bike apart I can't really tell if it needs a whole crankcase or if it's a particular part that can be replaced.

I picked the bike up for $2500 about 2 months ago, so a decent buy really.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'd buy a new engine man, swap her outta there

one can be had for about $800

·
Registered
437 Posts
swap the motor and where is the nut for your front sprocket????
I'd say unless he took it off himself, that may be what punched the hole in the case.

I've never personally split an r6 case myself, so the advice to follow is all a guess from the work I've done rebuilding dirtbike motors.

Looks like you'd have to replace the top half of the case. Best bet would be to check ebay, but even getting a good deal, I'd imagine you'll drop at least $150 for a used half. Conservative for gaskets/seals that need replaced when you split the halves will be another $100, and that doesn't include bearings or any other wear items you may want to replace while your in there.

Could go the option of doing a motor swap like previously mentioned, and breaking down your motor after the swap for a part out. Would save you any headache of mechanical issues during rebuild if you can verify you're buying a good condition motor and would reduce your bike's downtime.

Up to you really, but I'd say the case is past any option for repair if you want to do the job right; it will most likely need replaced in some capacity.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
At least try to take it to a welder to weld something over that.

·
Just lean harder...
887 Posts
Your problem most likely came from the chain breaking or popped off at some point in the bikes life. The piece that is missing is suppose to help hold the case guard in place and one of the sprocket cover bolts thread into that missing piece.

You can not weld that area with the engine together, the shiny thing you can see through the hole is the transmission input shaft support bearing. If you get that bearing hot while welding, the plastic seal is going to melt. The other problem is warping that area the bearing is pressed in.

I would say get a motor.

Here is a pic of the piece you are missing...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts