Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys.
I have a yamaha r6 2007 with around 7k miles on it. I have recently got the relay assy sensor (under the seat) changed (used one) as the bike was not starting and there was a constant neutral light even if the bike was in gear.
The neutral light got fixed and the bike starts.
For the first 15 to 20 minutes the bike runs fine and easily reaches 16k rpm in any gear, however, after that it starts dying and the rpm starts to drop as if the power has been cut. It then gets so bad that I can't go above 5k rpm at any gear and can barely keep the bike running. I have to constantly leave the throttle completely and then apply throttle again to get some power to the wheels to keep it rolling.
I tried switching off and on the bike and it would run fine for a minute but then again the problem would return.
Remedies Tried
Took the bike to a mechanic and he suggested that it might be because of loss of air pressure in the tank but that's not the case as I rode the bike with the tank cap partially open.

Checked the voltage at the battery terminals at 5k rpm and it was at 13.94. Mechanic said that it's not because of it. Although I have read in another post that it is mostly the case but the mechanic said that the bike would not reach 16k rpm in the first place so it is not a stator or rectifier issue.

Just so that you guys know that I got my bike repainted and one of the workers accidentally poured petrol and water mix in the fuel tank to get it started but it did not fire up. They opened the tank, cleaned it, let the spark plugs dry up, poured some petrol on the four cylinders, changed the relay assy sensor under the seat and started the bike. When I took the bike home I could smell a lot of petrol and it turned out that the hose which leads to the engine was lose and had a small cut somewhere at the top which the worker repaired with a silicone glue.
I am a new member however I have been searching around on Google and other threads on this forum but I can't find someone with the same issue.
Thanks for the help in advance
(I posted this in the wrong thread without realising, sorry)

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
make sure that the fuel hose isn't being pinched when the tank is lowered into position. running fine then dying out seems to be a fuel related issue to me. your fuel pump may be going out. once it gets hot from operation it loses it's ability to supply a sufficient pressure to operate. if you take it to a mechanic try to get them to ride it until it does the power loss and look at the fuel pressure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If the fuel hose is pinched will it run fine for 15 to 20 minutes? Just wondering, please enlighten me 🙂.
The bike only has 11k Kms on it and the fuel pump going bad so early seems suspicious to me. Can it be because of the water poured in the tank with fuel?

·
Registered
5 Posts
One of your coils are bad , they run good when their cold but they shut down when they get hot. Your mileage is low so most likely the fuel line is pinched.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If you eventually find that nothing else has any impact, try adding octane.
You'll want something that contains methylcyclopentadienyl managenese tricarbonyl (MMT).
If the bottle says it treats 25 gallons, you'll only require a 1/5th of that bottle per fill-up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I didn't get time to check it for the last 3 days. Hope I will figure out what the problem is. I have left a link to what the bike does for you guys to have a better idea.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Something is cutting off, fuel or spark or air I would guess fuel in this case. Idk what that tech is talking about. Sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about pressure in the tank causing a issue it's a metal tank driven by a forced gear fuel pump. This ain't a carbed bike.
Step back and retrace your steps check ya fuel lines check the air box. Check the secondary injectors.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you eventually find that nothing else has any impact, try adding octane.
You'll want something that contains methylcyclopentadienyl managenese tricarbonyl (MMT).
If the bottle says it treats 25 gallons, you'll only require a 1/5th of that bottle per fill-up.
I tried injector cleaner right at the start but it didn't work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have a power commander? Also I hope you emptyed the tank and put fresh fuel in it. If it's stock see if someone will swap ecu with you to check it, your tps might be wrong setting.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I tried injector cleaner right at the start but it didn't work.
Octane booster is in no way related to injector cleaner. Higher octane makes the fuel a little harder to burn. This helps prevent preignition; more likely to occur with higher engine temperatures. In that video engine temp says 216F. I presume you're showing us that part of the clip, because this is when it's at its worse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts